GSP LPjr DC Build

What's Hot
This one is for the son of a good pal, George. He saw a couple of my efforts and asked if I could make him something. 

@GSPBASSES made us the body, glorious as ever, and George and I went through the finish options last weekend. 

He wants a stain / oil finish in Crimson Red, so having done a couple of test runs on some spare offcuts Graham kindly included in the package for us, I've started to rub down and prep for the stain. 

Fingers crossed I don't screw up! 

Graham's work finished.

Crimson Red with a bit of finishing oil on nearest half to see how the grain and colour darkens. 

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Lovely! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Really nice red
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10932
    That looks great, love the grain
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2851
    Stain on.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 500
    Coming along very nicely - you cant beat a good dc junior.  
    Pretty much finished the staining process. I did this one a little differently than the last and built up layers of stain, rubbing back with 600 grit between coats. To my eye, it is already giving a 3D quality to the top before the oil goes on.

I used a cotton bud to get into the hard to reach areas around the neck / body join. 

Next step is to give it two coats of penetrative oil followed by the High Build oil. Happy so far. 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Rubbing down between stain coats also provides a much better prepared wood ready for the oil. 
    Spent an enjoyable afternoon finishing (nearly) this little beauty off. 

The Alegree Old Timer pickup is great, suits it perfectly. 

Gotta say credit to Graham because this resonates better than any of my other guitars. The neck feels alive when you play it. 

Slightly annoying that I've got to let it go! 

0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2022
    ....the pickup route is so tidy I thought it would be a shame not to go with a soapbar. 
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2461
    Wow, brilliant work! =)
    Just to finish the story, we completed the handover on Friday evening at a sunny pub car park en route to Cambridge. I took my Blackstar Fly and a lead so that he could have a little try straight away. We had to drag him out of the car park into the pub!  =)

We had a lovely dinner, then we headed up to Cambs and George & family back to Hackney. I got a really nice message on the morning from his dad saying he was up playing until midnight when they got home.

The main reason I started to play guitar was so that my boys would be used to having musical instruments around the house and not be intimidated to try to play them - which was how it was in my childhood. 

It gives me huge pleasure to encourage kids to play and to see them enjoying music so much. My eldest is a very keen guitarist now, I hope the youngest will also learn at some point too - if he want to. For me, it's what it is all about. 

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 1442
    Build threads are great but seeing the end like this is just awesome.  He looks well happy.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10932
    Love it