TPD's allotment thread

What's Hot

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8706
    Just watching Gardeners’ World where Monty Don has planted melons.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Roland said:
    Just watching Gardeners’ World where Monty Don has planted melons.
    I'm catching up on old episodes, glad to hear that! We have quite warm summers, so I'm hopeful of a single melon with a bit of luck - no greenhouse.

I'll post a proper allotment update tomorrow. Had my first few radishes. Typical early season radish - no heat at all, quite a fresh taste with some sweetness and loads of moisture. Delicious. Radishes get worse as the weather gets hotter I find! 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    Sorry to derail the thread but I would appreciate some advice! We are making a start with "improving" our new garden this weekend. We recently part cleared this bed, from this

Into this

Tomorow we are going to add a few raised beds because the existing soil is VERY heavy clay. I know we could work in some organic matter but we would like to start growing straight away. So we have some well rotted horse manure and some multi purpose soil

I'm getting out of my depth here. Anyone got any tips? Here’s a pic of our dog photo bombing 

We’re on very heavy clay too. The advice we got is to dig in plenty of manure, leaf mould or compost to help lighten and break it up. You can also get stuff called clay buster although I’ve never used it so don’t know how effective it is. It’s not all bad news, roses do really well in clay soils and apple trees love it. 
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    Looks fun.

I'm wondering what caused the flooding and if it's been fixed? 
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1369
    edited April 2022
    Yesterday's esoteric pleasure was giving my Hot Composting Bin a spring clean. Got a very full barrow load of compost out on to the garden, and there was a decent bit left to get it going again after the clean and ??polish. Back to normal today, digging out ivy, nettles, and other weeds.
  • Looks fun.

Soil cores showed compaction. 

Compaction, even in heavy clay, is actually quite rare - but our site was layered with clay, then used to park building site vehicles. Then, a new layer was excavated, put in top and used for parking. This led to a true hard pan about 50cm below soil surface, which was completely impenetrable by water.

The fix was a deep rip - it's basically a big scoop dragged through about 2-3ft under, the break that pan. Last year, after completion, the site did not flood for the first time so I think it was a success. Only areas that were not ripped did (such as the hard standing). That should improve over time anyway, especially when the orchard has been planted.

So sometimes, mechanical intervention is needed! Fingers crossed it stays good. I'm hopeful but by mulching I get at least a few inches of excellent drainage and underneath the soil is being conditioned by insects and roots anyway, so I'm quite confident it'll work out. 
  • Right. Progress shot!

More wood chip from a local person who had their tree cut down and chipped last year. Lovely lady who charged me half what a shop would, so pretty chuffed. That helped me finish the first main central path and begin the second today - still have half of that left, so that should be both main paths (and maybe a bit more).

The second pic shows the central and left side of the plot, which are completely unfinished. The far left bed was made this morning, just cardboard and compost. A row of soft neck garlic was sown, but it's a bit late for them so not sure of success. In the middle, I'll be sowing some carrots and some turnips, then at the back will be a row of sown red baron onions from modules, to produce a harvest of smaller onions in clumps. It's quite late in the season to make beds this way, but if it's not amazingly successful this year, I'll be rewarded next year with vastly improved soil.

I dug a hole in a bed that was made sometime in late winter - I needed to plant a new rhubarb, as the crown had rotted. I can verify that clay loves having compost on top - as I dug down into the soil, I was greeted with soil-dwelling lob worms and a much improved structure - more crumbly, with some aeration. That is after just 4 or 5 months or so, can't quite remember when it was done. 

As such, I'm seeing this as a preparatory year - while I am hoping for some harvests, I'm expecting some mediocre results, although time will tell. I've had my first radishes and could have some pea shoots, although I'm hoping to grow for peas rather than shoots. The peas are establishing nicely.

At the back, I've got some broad beans that are establishing - however, some failed and others germinated in pairs, so tomorrow morning I'm going to dig them out, carefully split them and replant so I have a row of 5 plants in that small bed. Most of the cabbages at the front got squished by an enthusiastic child, so I'm going to transplant some kohl rabi I've sown in a couple of weeks in their place.

I feel... So happy. I love being outdoors, working with nature. It's just the best.

Compost heap is 40 degree C now. For a small heap, I'm unlikely to achieve more than a steady 50 - that produces excellent compost over a year, but doesn't kill weed seeds so I'm expecting lots of hoe action every spring :) 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    Looks fun.

Soil cores showed compaction. 

Compaction, even in heavy clay, is actually quite rare - but our site was layered with clay, then used to park building site vehicles. Then, a new layer was excavated, put in top and used for parking. This led to a true hard pan about 50cm below soil surface, which was completely impenetrable by water.

The fix was a deep rip - it's basically a big scoop dragged through about 2-3ft under, the break that pan. Last year, after completion, the site did not flood for the first time so I think it was a success. Only areas that were not ripped did (such as the hard standing). That should improve over time anyway, especially when the orchard has been planted.

So sometimes, mechanical intervention is needed! Fingers crossed it stays good. I'm hopeful but by mulching I get at least a few inches of excellent drainage and underneath the soil is being conditioned by insects and roots anyway, so I'm quite confident it'll work out. 

Ah, that's not too bad then I suppose. At least you're not needing to put in more drainage or fix a riverbank or anything. 

Good luck with it all, you're doing a good job.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    Nice to see the allotment pictures @ThePrettyDamned ;; keep ‘em coming

• benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1396
    I take my hat off to you @ThePrettyDamned and any keen gardeners. Today has absolutely broken me (and my dad!) we managed to get these in and 80% filled so very chuffed with that 

Filled the bottoms with some dead branches from local park, getting a bit of hugelkulture going ;-)

This is how they turned out. Ran out of the soil and manure mix at the end but going to give them a few weeks to drop and then top up with some top soil 

How very rock and roll
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Holy moly, that looks amazing! Nice one @benmurray. ;
    Cheers mate, I just realised I’m completely detailing your thread! But I’m very inspired by your allotment progress! 
    How very rock and roll
  • Cheers mate, I just realised I’m completely detailing your thread! But I’m very inspired by your allotment progress! 

Not at all a derail! It's great to see.

I have so much fun reading allotment/gardening comments on Facebook. I saw someone say not digging was just container gardening! What an absolute banana. So many gate keepers. 

Today I'm getting more wood chip to the plot this morning after a coffee, then maybe getting some more bags of manure over. I have run out of cardboard now, so if I can't find any more I'll probably just shallow dig and flip over the grasses and weeds, then mulch on top, in hope that kills most of the weeds well enough. Turning them in is a fool's errand here, there are loads of dormant weed seeds in the soil and it's been baked quite hard over the last week, so very hard work. 

Purple sprouting broccoli, cos lettuce, lolla rossa lettuce, beetroot clumps and kohl rabi seedlings all germinated, and I'm just starting to see the red baron onions poking through. Alliums are very slow from seed, but once established they really get a move on - brassicas are super fast, I had a seedling after just 2 nights from kohl rabi! 
  • Mini update. Will add photos when imgur lets me upload, seems there are issues on the app... 

Ladyprettydamned helped me build a tunnel (we call if the tortoise) last weekend. It's 3mm galvanised coated wire to form hoops, covered in green, thick fleece. Inside, I planted some tomatoes and peppers, and a single slime-fruit (aubergine).

This is ambitious and, perhaps, foolish - it is still very early, a full month or so before these should go out. However, Cambridgeshire usually is past last frost by late April, and the fleece I've used is a thick, green winter one - designed for lower light but greater warmth. Tomatoes and peppers at this stage need less light to grow, and rather it's heat they need. If this prevents frost over the next few weeks from hitting them, it's done the job. I also sowed some marigolds in there as a companion plant, and will probably drop in a couple of sacrificial nasturtiums. I may add a couple more peppers also, they don't need loads of space and can support each other in windy conditions, as the site is terribly exposed. 

I hope to remove the fleece in two or three weeks. I tested temperature today at 3pm - it was 30 degrees inside, air temp! Soil was a solid 20, which is fantastic and should easily protect from a light frost (by 6.30pm it has dropped to 20 degrees). The plants within look to be healthy, the tomatoes are really growing. The peppers less so, but they are much older and a bit stunted - I expect they'll pick up should the plant decide to put out more roots. 

Perennial herbs seem to be establishing, which is good, but they like poor soil - clay is nutrient rich, and I added manure for aeration and fungal activity - so I'm expecting a couple of years needed to deplete the nutrients before they're a bit happier. 

Lavender is the same - I expect few flowers, due to nutrients, but they are establishing and putting out fresh leafy growth, which is fantastic. 

Peonies went in, and two out of three are already sending out shoots so I'm hopeful.

On Monday, I'll be making some flower beds by digging in a small amount of compost and removing weeds around the border, and will plant out geums, lobelia and other beautiful perennial flowers to bring in pollinators and provide a bit of visual interest. I don't have a plan so will probably just mix them up and see what happens.

I have 14 sweetcorn plants in root trainers, and will be planting out in May - probably in a week or two, with less risk of frost yet. Once planted, I will give it a week or two to establish before sowing some French and runner beans among them - the corn should provide structure for the beans to climb, while the nitrogen-fixing beans will help the hungry sweetcorn to be in nutrient rich soil. Lastly, I will plant 4 winter squash plants around the edge, and train the leafy vines through the bed - providing shelter for the soil, reducing moisture loss to the oft-exposed corn roots.

I have some yellow courgettes seedlings germinated and ready to grow on, several lettuce seedlings (loose leaf and cos), purple sprouting broccoli and kohl rabi - these will all be going out in the coming weeks, with a bed of brassicas for netting and the lettuces dotted around. I am also going to sow some spring cabbages, for harvest late summer/early autumn. In summer I think I'll sow a few winter cabbage, which grow enormous - but they don't taste so good to me.

Very optimistic. I can definitely be more efficient, and will have far greater harvest next year, but this year is all about ground work - getting lots of organic matter on the soil, mulching out weeds, producing crops where I can and taking the losses with the wins.

As far as the effectiveness of mulching, some weeks back I put a bit less than 2 bags of composted manure on top of soil with weeds. I watered it on, then left it. A week ago, I watered once more and yesterday I dug it in - it was very easy, the soil had worms and it was clear it was full of life. As we didn't mulch the weeds with cardboard, we had to dig for potatoes (and planted main crops there today) - however, it really proved that "hard compact clay", often, is not as difficult as it first seems. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Progress made today! More manure to complete another bed, this time extending one that has garlic (and sown carrot, but they're not poking through yet - perhaps they got a bit dry, so I'm watering a bit more now), some herbs planted in a newly dug area (garlic chive, bronze fennel and pineapple sage), a few peppers put under cover in closer spacing (they were spare, and I have more than enough - they can provide shelter to other plants!), a few spare peppers planted in the mostly-failed rhubarb bed (all crowns were dead, so I bought a pot plant instead). I loosened the mesh around the carrot/beetroot/radish/cabbage/broad bean beds as they are growing and it was getting a bit too taught on some plants. 

I also planned to get a flower border dug in and planted, as well as some kohl rabi, purple sprouting broccoli, lolla rossa lettuce and red onion seedlings out, but I ran out of steam after 3 hours.

Digging the herb area was hard. It was not mulched at all, and I suffered for it. Contrast with the potato bed I dug the other day, that benefited from about... 6 weeks of being mulched with a couple of bags of manure? Night and day. I'm not expecting great things from the herb bed this year, but even if it's a failure I'll be incorporating more compost in winter and trying again. I love the textures of fennel and rosemary, and the scents you get from them are incredible. Bonus points for the attraction of pollinators. 

Perennial flowering plants tend not to need brilliant soil, so I'm hoping one bag of manure will suffice for the entire border, and they'll just get established, but if not I may be able to move some spent compost from the balcony there - just to provide a bit more aeration.

Still a long way to go, but I think it's starting to look more like a plot that's being looked after and less like a disaster! 
    edited May 2022
    It’s looking great mate, you’re doing an incredible job. I’m super envious!!! We just finished our little kitchen garden today. I’m not overly convinced things are going to come up as planned so we’re treating this as the beginning of the learning curve. I’ll be happy if we get anything out at the end of it. 

(The trees were in when we got the house! Can’t claim any credit for those!) 

How very rock and roll
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • You've made very good choices. Beetroot, spinach and lettuces are all reliable, easy croppers - just keep an eye out for bolting veg!

I reckon they'll do great. 
    You've made very good choices. Beetroot, spinach and lettuces are all reliable, easy croppers - just keep an eye out for bolting veg!

It's no coincidence that we've largely chosen beginners veg! I am off to google what "bolting veg" means though ;-) haha
    How very rock and roll
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1137
    edited May 2022
    We're starting our 3rd year on our ¼ plot. Nearly got evicted last year due to not doing much with it, but some better scaffold boards and help from my retired parents got us sorted. We chucked some garlic in from the fridge which appears to be doing ok.

I grew some Butternut Squash on the window sill from reclaimed seeds from a supermarket squash. Crap photo, but 5 very healthy plants.

And then the cauliflower we bought to fill out the beds and pass our inspection last year has decided to grow again. Is that normal? Is it going to be edible? Tasty?

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • You've made very good choices. Beetroot, spinach and lettuces are all reliable, easy croppers - just keep an eye out for bolting veg!

It's no coincidence that we've largely chosen beginners veg! I am off to google what "bolting veg" means though ;-) haha

Yeah, weird terminology! It means starts to prepare a flowering stem - when this happens, leave become tough and very bitter. Edible but you wouldn't want to!

When you see that flowering stem, you either clear it and pop it in the compost heap, or let it flower - some veg can put up as astonishing display, especially brassica like broccoli or kale. A little lettuce might send up a 3-4 foot stem full of tiny white flowers! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom