The Best Of The Crop Of Cheap Effects?

What's Hot
robkayrobkay Frets: 11
Looking at some of the cheap pedals, Joyo seem to have quite a few and no doubt theres loads of similar ones out there......i'm not much into distortion but looking for perhaps a decent delay, tremelo and chorus pedal.....any suggestions?
Thanks
Rob
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Cheap delay - digitech digidelay or visual sound axle grease. Both are great.

Others I'm not so sure about. Od - there are millions around.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    ebay mate. 

Anything boss, mxr, EHX etc can all be had at bargain prices if you are patient. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    Caline are alright.
  • Zodiac51Zodiac51 Frets: 340
    Ultimate drive... it really is that good, Think of it as like rolling a big fat one for your guitar.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2411
    What's your definition of cheap?

If you mean "as cheap as possible", the Digitech ones (bad monkey, screamin blues and hot head, they have a few others but I haven't tried them) are hard to beat at ~£20 (new) and seem to be pretty reliable.

Joyo and people like that have a lot more models, most of which are based on well-regarded and/or boutique circuits, but there have been some complaints about reliability (mine have been fine but I also believe the people who have been complaining about them).

The daphon E-OD20 (often rebranded as Chord, among other brand names) is an SD1 clone and pretty nice. Price can vary, though, and the genuine SD1 isn't much more a lot of the time (though the daphon doesn't seem to have the bypass bleed which the SD1 can sometimes have).

There are probably more options, too in that bracket.

If by cheap you mean in and around £50, the prices on a lot of the Digitech Hardwire models have dropped quite a bit- I've only tried the OD but it's great. If the others are like that they're going to be very hard to beat. Also some of the more basic Boss models can be had for around £40 too, like the SD1, DS1 etc. and again are hard to beat when you consider both tone and reliability. EHX have several pedals these days under £40-£50 too and several of the more recent ones are, er, very closely inspired by existing circuits. Have heard some complaints about the reliability, though.

Personally I'd say if you're gigging or whatever it's worth going up to the ~£40-£50 bracket since it normally provides more reliability, at least if you pick wisely (obviously there are plenty of pedals at that kind of money where the reliability might not be that much better, so you kind of have to do your research too).

Again, there are probably loads more options around ~£50 mark that I'm not aware of.

That's new, obviously second-hand is more up in the air.
  • MattGMattG Frets: 170
    Danelectro cool cat pedals especially the V1's are fantastic pedals, cheap and punch wayyyyyyyy above there prices
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Marshall's pedal range is pretty good and often don't cost much second hand.
  • shadyshady Frets: 252
    Ibanez Tonelok stuff can be got on the cheap as well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    A great delay is the visual sound H2O chorus/delay usally 50 for a great chorus and a great delay. :)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7927
    assuming you mean "which of the cheaper end pedals are worth having?" I can say that I have, and like, the Joyo Tremolo.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

I have some Digitech pedals all relatively cheap (compared to others available) and they are good sounding.

Boss are pretty bomb-proof, decent sounding and (second-hand) pretty cheap (generally).

The MXR range is again cheaper than booteek, and good sounding.

Ibanez, again cheaper than top-line gear, and decent quality gear.

Actually, other than my Blackstar Ht Dual, all of my pedals come from the above makers.

Personally I wouldn't class any of the above as "expensive" pedals, certainly cheaper than boutique. There's plenty of variation to choose from too.

I've not tried the Mooers etc so cannot fairly comment on them.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3675
    There are a couple of NUX pedals which do delay (Time Force) and mods (Mod Force). You can have nine presets on each and they do many variations of whatever flavour of effect you want. I've not put them on my gig board but for messing around at home with they've been fine. I picked them up from Amazon for about £40 each, but that was on special offer.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4316
    I just got a Mooer Akoustikar (sic?). Need to get my strat to sound more like an acoustic for 3 or 4 songs, seems to do the job very well. It'll be on my board for the next rehearsal.

• Some of the old Dod pedals (especially the choruses) are pretty good for the moneys. The fx65 chorus kicks all kinds of people's things.
  • I'm gonna say digitech bass synth wah. £30 new roughly? As good a bass octave pedal I've used. It has varied synth noises that track really well.  I'll not be getting rid of ot any timesoon.
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1284
    +1 for Dano Cool Cats here. The control layout alternately drives me crazy or makes me happy (depending on whether I'm trying to tweak them on the fly or just playing and appreciating the fact that they're tucked away where they can't be accidentally disturbed) but every one I've tried has sounded great. The vibe in particular is an absolute gem.
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • robkayrobkay Frets: 11
    edited August 2014
    Thanks for all your ideas and thoughts.......
    Anyone tried the Joyo AC30 pedal, can you get a real clean sound with this or is it more crunch/overdive,any thoughts?
    Thanks
    Rob
    :)

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1284
    robkay said:
    Thanks for all your ideas and thoughts.......
    Anyone tried the Joyo AC30 pedal, can you get a real clean sound with this or is it more crunch/overdive,any thoughts?
    Thanks
    Rob
    :)

Funnily enough I ended up doing a set with one of these and a Joyo Ultimate Drive into a Roland Cube at the local Jam Night last week - it was set up by the owner with the AC Tone "always on" set to be just ever so slightly crunchy but clean up on the guitar volume and the drive in front of it to "push" it a bit as well as adding a little bit of distortion itself for properly dirty stuff. 

It worked very nicely and sounded fine without me feeling the need to tweak anything.

Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...