Fretboard radiusing jig

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 30206
    Not anything guitary for a while. I'm thinking of having a go at making my ideal 6er though. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3129
    Corvus said:
    . But the G&W is as accurate as you could want, no falloffs or whatever else, plus you can shim one end to get the edges the same height after radiussing.
    Of course!  Genius!!

On the other topic ( I also use the G&W, mainly for space reasons), I radius before slotting to minimise the tear out possibility, especially with ebony and especially right at the end of the board.
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2397
    tFB Trader
    When I first started using G & W kit I did slot the fretboard first, but I did get the occasional tear out. I now radius first then slot. As mentioned elsewhere in the post to get the same height on the edges of the fingerboard, the centre block on my jig is slightly higher at the nut end.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• elstoofelstoof Frets: 2776
    What sort of shim for say 12” radius, about 1-2mm?
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 3095
    edited March 2022 tFB Trader
    I used a blade that's half a mil thick I think maybe a hair more, somewhere near the nut end of boards. I don't bother moving it for Fender vs 24.75 scales.

My setup is a baseboard with 8020 extrusion centre beam. It also doubles as a clamping caul but that's another thing.
    Centre line was scored with a marking gauge.

I covered the baseboard in gloss HPL and relieved the edges & corners on the carriage but it still scored the base slightly. So added some d/s tape with the backing left on. The carriage glides more freely. Could've skipped the formica altogether...

The vertical thing is just a fixture borrowed to catch some of the blizzard of chips for a quicker cleanup.

The bowl cutter is about 19mm across, small radius to it. Think this is why I need minimal sanding, and plus the slippery base is why I can do a board in 4 mins or less. Must be kinder re tearout over a straight cutter. At least I haven't had any damage as yet, not that I've done dozens though.
    I go up & down quickly with fine 'adjustments' to get a radius not a series of flats. Set the one height and go, no increments.

Minor thing, there's teflon tape on the insides of the base. Mainly to take up a bit of the slop in fitting over the central rail, also may help smooth sliding. Was lurking in a drawer so though may as well try it.
    The Katsu router was £35, spare bases are a tenner or so.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2397
    tFB Trader
    elstoof said:
    What sort of shim for say 12” radius, about 1-2mm?
    I don't use a shim, I've made it so the centre block is raised by about .5mm over its length so it is a permanent fixture.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom