Don't laugh, total newbie audio interface question about recording my amp & pedalboard

What's Hot
UngulateUngulate Frets: 239
edited March 2022 in Studio & Recording
I've got an interface, Motu M4, and am recording via the xlr out of my Blackstar HT5R amp using Ableton Live free trial version.

It sounds good, far better than the crappy usb signal before I had an interface.

How do I get the pedalboard signal included in the recording? Especially  as I have the delay & reverb going into the amp via the fx loop?

Do I just feed the return into the interface cutting out the amp?!?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• No replies yet...I'll have a go...

Whatever's going in the front of your amp will definitely be coming out of the XLR (so that's the first half of your pedalboard).
    You probably want to be using the XLR into your interface because it's emulated (otherwise you'd need to a plugin to do the job within your DAW).
    Are you saying that the effects in the loop aren't present in the XLR signal?

There's an argument for not recording 'wet', e.g. delay/reverb: edits are cleaner without and it can be added later in the DAW (where there are lots of other benefits).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • UngulateUngulate Frets: 239
    Yep, am using XLR into interface, I'll check again when I get home, wasn't hearing any reverb yesterday.
  • Reverb and delay are good to add in DAW anyway,, easy to get wishy washy.. and you can control it better
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3726
    I had a quick look in the manual and there was no mention as to whether the XLR is pre or post effects loop / reverb - but I would expect that it is.  The USB out is definitely post reverb / effects.

The reverb may sound more subtle on the recording than it does in the room if you are listening to the amp / speaker.  Easy way to check, whack the reverb and loop effects up high and record a short piece of audio.
  • UngulateUngulate Frets: 239
    Thanks to all who have chipped  in here, not had a chance to explore things yet due to work, but will report back tomorrow after I've tested things out, much appreciated guys.