Joyo PXL Live in da house...

What's Hot
welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1831
Just had delivery of my PXL live, can't decide at the moment whether to bite the bullet and get it integrated for tonight's gig...

First impressions are that its built like a tank and seems really easy to program..

Watch this space...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BodBod Frets: 1345
    I'm interested to hear how you get on.  I'm very keen on giving one a go...
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3675
    edited August 2014
    It took me a while to get my head around the Pro which didn't have the additional midi features of the Live. Especially the amp switching features where the manual is useless.

I didn't use mine until I was confident enough to be able to program it during a gig in case the patches needed tweaking.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @welshboyo By the way, you should watch this video manual of the PXL Live. It's WAY better than the paper versions that Joyo supply. Worth an hour of your time as it thoroughly explains the amp and midi switching.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    "Professional performance in paid time, learning and experimentation in your own time."

I apply the same rule for gear as for playing.

The last thing you need with your rig is an unexpected problem in live performance, which should have been shaken out before hand.  Pretty much what @vasselmeyer says above.  Move it into your live rig when you are 100% sure that it will deliver reliably.  That's much better for peace of mind too.

I too am interested to find out how this works for you, it seems a pretty good value solution.

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    edited August 2014
    How much was it and where did you get it?
    @Drew_fx Yes it is. Watch the video I posted above. It's a really cool piece of kit.
    @Drew_fx Yes it is. Watch the video I posted above. It's a really cool piece of kit.
    Yeah figured as much, hence my edit :)
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1831
    edited August 2014

Oh Well.....put it all together and it works!!!!! haven't touched the Midi yet, but the rest  - setting up loops, amp switching etc was an absolute doddle, put 4 patches together for tonight..

@Drew_fx got it from ebay (nextbigthink was the user id) £102 with £4 postage, from China, via NL, no customs..took 15 days to come.

@vasselmeyer @ChrisMusic don't worry, I've had 15 days to watch that youtube link over and over....the manual ain't that bad actually...

Bear in mind too that I managed to get a G System fully integrated and working with my previous rig in an hour!!!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I got my Pro directly from China too. Came in 8 days, even over the New Year period (our New Year, not theirs).
    Definitely interested to hear more about the midi features. My amp supports program changes, as does my TC Flashback X4.
    Just set up the Midi to change Timeline patches, took me about 10 minutes to set up.....you have to "turn on" midi for each patch, but no biggy...about 6 foot taps..

Just as an FYI to people thinking about getting one, just keep in mind the space needed behind the unit for the connections, on a PT, it takes up 1 slat and 1 void with the loop plugs plugged in.

My cabling isn't the great as its just a quick set-up but I can instantly see that it will solve a lot of cable untidiness problems.
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Do you guys know if this unit sends multiple Midi commands / multiple channels, or just one per patch ?

welshboyo said:
    Just set up the Midi to change Timeline patches, took me about 10 minutes to set up.....you have to "turn on" midi for each patch, but no biggy...about 6 foot taps..

Just as an FYI to people thinking about getting one, just keep in mind the space needed behind the unit for the connections, on a PT, it takes up 1 slat and 1 void with the loop plugs plugged in.

My cabling isn't the great as its just a quick set-up but I can instantly see that it will solve a lot of cable untidiness problems.
    Would you mind measuring the unit and posting the size of it? Website doesn't seem to say.

Does it have "preset" mode as well as "loop" mode - ie... could you easily turn on a single loop without changing the rest of the loops and without sending any midi to your amp?

ie: during a live set, could you change your entire rig as well as activate or deactive any single loop... those are the two things I'd need.
    Do you guys know if this unit sends multiple Midi commands / multiple channels, or just one per patch ?
    Website says:

.Midi cc and midi program change command are available simultaneously

But I don't know how many of each.

Drew_fx said:
    Would you mind measuring the unit and posting the size of it? Website doesn't seem to say.

Does it have "preset" mode as well as "loop" mode - ie... could you easily turn on a single loop without changing the rest of the loops and without sending any midi to your amp?

ie: during a live set, could you change your entire rig as well as activate or deactive any single loop... those are the two things I'd need.
    It's the same casing as the PXL Pro so it's 54cm (w) x 7cm (D) and 4cm (H). Bear in mind that 7 needs the cables to come out of the back of it as @welshboyo said.

It's all presets. 8 banks of 4 presets. Each preset has a completely individual set of which loops you want on or off and which triggers you want for your amp. Obviously if you're in a preset you can reach over and turn pedals on or off as well.

In terms of MIDI, I did recall the video got to the part where he explains about it but, as my rig is all switching and no midi, I never really paid attention to that part.
    edited August 2014
    Oh I see... I'd have to hold the mute switch to enter program mode, activate the loop(s) I want, and then press hold just once to go back into preset mode. Seems like it could be a bit of a pain in the ass. I really don't need a mute button, wish they'd just used it as a quick toggle between loop selection and preset selection.

EDIT: Even this wont work because when you exit program mode without saving, it turns off the loops. laaayyyymeeee.... that's basically sealed it for me. This isn't suitable for my needs.
    edited August 2014
    No really. It's all presets. When you press the same button it switches off the loops you have for that preset but you can set an amp channel switch to stay on or off as default. So say, patch one can be: dirty channel on, delay on, boost on. When you press that switch again, the loops go off but you can set it so that the dirty channel stays on.

The mute switch cycles between three states: 1) mute off 2) mute off and tuner on 3) mute on and tuner on.
    lol. We keep posting out of sync. Yeah I realised all that after watching the video a bit. Kinda annoying.
    yep @vasselmeyer 's measurements are correct.

For me, it does what I need - cut down on tap dancing and changes the TL by midi to save faffing about with double switch taps etc  and it changes my amp channels.
    @Drew_fx Definitely out of sync. It might be I'm in classic rock 4:4 and you're in one of your odd proggy-ambient time signatures.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom