FIXED my Orange Valve Tester

What's Hot
KeefyKeefy Frets: 2471
edited May 2022 in Making & Modding
Today I checked out all the valves in my friend’s 2001 Fender Pro Reverb. The amp has 7x 12AX7 valves and a 12AT7. Without exception the tester gave a low score* (5-7) to all the ‘A’ triodes, and a much higher score (10-14) to the ‘B’ triodes. Looking back at my test notes for other valves this happens a lot. All today’s valves were Groove Tubes, mostly re-badged Sovteks.

Can anyone suggest what might be responsible for this bias? (No pun intended.)

*The device gives an arbitrary score of up to 15. It fails any valve which scores 5 or lower, and any dual triode where the scores differ by more than 6 points.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• springheadspringhead Frets: 1704
    Does it just look at emission, or does it apply a signal of any kind and check gm?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74475
    At best it sounds like it's out of calibration.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2471
    Does it just look at emission, or does it apply a signal of any kind and check gm?
    I don’t know, Orange don’t specify.

ICBM said:
    At best it sounds like it's out of calibration.
    Oh flip. I’ll drop Orange an email and see what they say. That thing wasn’t cheap.
    I've messaged Orange via their contact page. There is a 'CALIB. OK' sticker on the base of the unit, so clearly that is a thing.
  • You're welcome to try my tester if you're in the neighbourhood. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    You're welcome to try my tester if you're in the neighbourhood. 
    Thanks but Cheshire is a bit outside my bailiwick!

I’ll see what Orange say to start with. I also have a DIY tester build on the back burner, subject to finding the right mains transformer.
    edited May 2022
    ...but this is interesting: http://www.ampworks.co.uk/recent-repairs/orange-vt1000-valve-tester-repair/

I removed and re-applied the solder to pins 6 and 7 of the preamp valve socket, which possibly looked to be cracked, but no change.
    Still nothing from Orange. I’m going to clean out the valve sockets, re-flow all their solder joints, and see what happens.

And probably buy a restored old valve tester.
    Today I cleaned the noval sockets by rotating a cocktail stick dipped in isopropanol. Then I took the unit apart and had another look at the valve socket PCB. I checked the 1k surface mount resistors and found that the one connecting to pin 7 (one of the grids) was showing open circuit between the socket and the ribbon connector. The resistor itself tested at close to 1k but if you look at the picture below you can see there is very little solder at the end of R6 by the tip of the cocktail stick. 

I soldered the end of R6, put it all back together, and tried some pre-amp valves where I had previously marked their scores on the boxes - all now gave more closely matched results, without the big difference previously noted.

FIXED!

Looking at my old valve test records (yes I should get out more!) I saw that my early results didn't show that consistent offset, so I think what solder there was must have let go at some point while I've owned the unit. Would Orange care if I told them about this? Probably not.

I might still get one of those old testers with all the knobs and levers though, just for shits and giggles.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74475
    Yes, that's a faulty joint - you can see the solder hasn't wetted onto the resistor. As you say, it very likely worked like that for some time with just the metal making physical contact - so would also have passed the factory test - but eventually some oxidation/corrosion got in and it failed.

The pin 6 and possibly pin 7 joints of the same valve socket also look dodgy, if you haven't already spotted that. 

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited May 2022
    ICBM said:
    Yes, that's a faulty joint - you can see the solder hasn't wetted onto the resistor. As you say, it very likely worked like that for some time with just the metal making physical contact - so would also have passed the factory test - but eventually some oxidation/corrosion got in and it failed.

The pin 6 and possibly pin 7 joints of the same valve socket also look dodgy, if you haven't already spotted that. 
    Yes I had already re-soldered 6 and 7. At least I’ve upgraded them from ‘cracked’ to ‘dodgy’!

EDIT: Yes they look really crap in that photo but in real life they are fine!
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3592
    Nice work!
    edited May 2022
    Nice work!
    Cheers!

I went back to my re-done solder joints, removed the solder again, and smeared a little flux along the tabs before redoing them. Now I have visibly continuous solder. I am happy and so should ICBM be!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 9013
    Keefy said:

....... Would Orange care if I told them about this? Probably not.
    They probably will when you send them an invoice for several hours of your time taken up diagnosing and fixing the problem.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    BillDL said:
    Keefy said:

....... Would Orange care if I told them about this? Probably not.
    They probably will when you send them an invoice for several hours of your time taken up diagnosing and fixing the problem.
    I’m more concerned about the cost of all those valves that I chucked because I thought they were u/s!

Actually I kept them because, well, you never know…
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2461
    Great news, nice work! :)