Pre-slotted Faber ABR question

What's Hot
NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3457
edited March 2022 in Making & Modding
When installing a pre-slotted Faber ABR, do you need to file the bridge slots?

All of the pre-cut slots appear to be a similar size. The current bridge on my guitar has larger slots for the thicker strings.

Example here
https://www.gluedtomusic.com/products/624/faber-abrh-59-vintage-abr-1-tune-o-matic-bridge-aged-relic-nickel
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• They are identical centre slots which, ideally, you would file to suit each string.

Obviously, this doesn't help much if you want custom off-centre notching.
  • Afterthough: if you are getting one of these, I recommend the locking version...not only does it stay put during string changes, there's a noticeable improvement in stability (even more so with the locking tailpiece studs).
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3457
    Afterthough: if you are getting one of these, I recommend the locking version...not only does it stay put during string changes, there's a noticeable improvement in stability (even more so with the locking tailpiece studs).
    Thanks. So best option would be locking bridge and locking tailpiece? 

I've got the non locking versions of both (facepalm)
  • NelsonP said:
    Afterthough: if you are getting one of these, I recommend the locking version...not only does it stay put during string changes, there's a noticeable improvement in stability (even more so with the locking tailpiece studs).
    Thanks. So best option would be locking bridge and locking tailpiece? 

I've got the non locking versions of both (facepalm)
    Sorry!

I've put the locking bridge, locking studs, and tailpiece on a LP and a 335 now...I did start out with the normal bridge though ;)

I also put the locking studs for a wrapover bridge on an SG and that was a good move too.
  • GluedtoMusicGluedtoMusic Frets: 74
    tFB Trader
    NelsonP said:
    When installing a pre-slotted Faber ABR, do you need to file the bridge slots?

Yes, these are just 'starter slots' and need to be filed out to suit your string gauge
    Supplier of Gotoh, Fender, Gibson, Faber, Schaller, Hipshot, Floyd Rose, TonePros, Graph Tech, Hosco luthier tools and many more.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15262
    I bought Gotoh Tone Pros locking tailpiece and bridge parts for my project Hamer XT Roland GK controller. Stabilising the bridge avoids the need to constantly fiddle with the hexaphonic pickup adjustment.

As mentioned already, the little dips in the ABR saddles are just for starters. My preference is for unslotted. That way, any minor string alignment issues can be compensated for by where I choose to make each slot.

YMMV
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.