Voting for Solo of the Month (SotM) #80

What's Hot
Welcome to the voting thread for Solo of the Month (SotM) #80. Feel free to vote and comment in this thread.

Thanks to @digitalkettle ;for providing the backing track for this one.

Vote for your top 3 entries. If you're an entrant you can't vote for yourself.

1st choice gets 5 points
2nd choice gets 3 points
3rd choice gets 1 point

Voting will end at midnight 31st March 2022.

The top three will be announced after the voting closes. No prizes. It's just for fun.

It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2198
    Just a reminder that anyone can provide a backing track, which will be gratefully received.

It's not a competition.
  • IvanMCIvanMC Frets: 91
    5 points to @DrHungry ;  ... well done; I relished that combination of those exquisite jazzy chords and all that phrasing (and panning!). It reminded me of Tony Iommi's glorious Don't Start (Too Late) for a moment, which I found absolutely enjoyable. Nice work!

3 points to @susbemol ; ... this solo is seemingly spontaneous; it sounds perfectly natural, as it were. 0:47 to 0:55 -unbeatable. I was pleasantly surprised by that acoustic guitar; I expected a bit of hi gain instead. I take my hat off to Susbemol's versatility. Nice work!

1 point to @jasonbone75 ; ... this solo seems quite spontaneous too. Great phrasing and note selection; I really enjoyed those strong ninths. Nice work too!

• Looks like I'm in a mood for the more relaxed ones...

5 points: @DrHungry ;
    3 points: @susbemol ;
    1 point: @IvanMC ;

Well played everyone.
  • DrHungryDrHungry Frets: 116
    5 points: @digitalkettle for a highly enjoyable backing/selling me his amp with which I could record my entry

5 points: aargh, tough choice, all of these deserve the points. Probably @stratman3142 for fitting in all those notes and still making it sound relaxed. Really nice smooth tone too and tasteful but effective use of the trem.
    3 points: @IvanMC That first half was so great, your trademark style of sparse phrasing and ping pong delay really letting the lines breathe. So nicely in the pocket as well. 
    1 point: @susbemol As always, impeccable timing and articulation paired with interesting and inventive phrases. Lovely acoustic tone but the shimmer-y reverb probably just made it a bit too 'smooth' for my tastes. It's got to the stage where I have to hunt around for reasons not to give you the 5 points!

Really fun one to play over this month, I enjoyed it a lot. 
    And we now have an excellent backing track for the next SotM (starting 1st April) thanks to @DrHungry ;

It's not a competition.
  • enjoyed them all...
    5 points: @@stratman3142 , tone, note choice and phrasing so nice
    3 points: @fastonebazloved the wang bar work out!
    1 point: @susbemol , for bringing the acoustic to the party :-)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    5 points : @DrHungry ; : More like 'sound textures' than an out-and-out solo, which works really well with the backing. An ethereal quality. Great guitar tones and lovely sounds/phrases.

3 points : @susbemol ; : Lovely jazzy sounds and an acoustic approach that sits well with the backing track. Reminds me of Earl Klugh (I've got a feeling I may have made that comparison before with you :) )

1 point : @DigitalDave ; : Floats over the backing nicely. Expressive and melodic.

It's not a competition.
  • jasonbone75jasonbone75 Frets: 642
    I'd like to just give points to all because each entry had reasons! Unfortunately, that's not an option so forced to choose.

5 points @susbemol - captured the character of the acoustic so well. Loved it and the phrasing and melody.

3 points @DigitalDave - the tone sat just on top of the backing in the sweet spot.

1 point @DrHungry - lovely chilled vibe
  • susbemolsusbemol Frets: 403
    5pts: @jasonbone75 - loved the energy!
    3pts: @Bellycaster - very nice vibe for the track.
    1pt: @DrHungry - I liked the cascading ideas and that lovely clean tone.

As already mentioned, really nice work by everyone! I really felt like I could have picked a bunch of others too.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4110
    5pts @DigitalDave such a slippery squishy tone I loved it
    3pts @stratman3142 I enjoyed the phrasing and passion behind the notes most in this piece
    1pt @DrHungry OK 100pts for incredible imagination and composition and had it been overlaid with a soft deep voice I'd have thought it was a Deepak Chakra piece, but afraid it didn't really start my engine as a musical melody so gets my miserly final vote good sir. 
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5862
    5 Points @DrHungry - Very imaginative piece here. Loved the mood and the melodies. The call and response worked well. Some passages had touches of Vai to it, think parts of Blue Powder and Sisters. That's a good thing, obviously ;)

3 Points @susbemol - Loved the Acoustic approach, very chilled with nicely executed phrases. Lovely tone. Was that Fingerstyle? For want of better descriptive words, I liked the "Attack" the "Snap" of the notes being played.

1 Point @DigitalDave - Nice Airy vibe to that, very relaxing and great note choices. Loved the fade in and the tone was just right.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • DrHungryDrHungry Frets: 116
    5 Points @DrHungry - Very imaginative piece here. Loved the mood and the melodies. The call and response worked well. Some passages had touches of Vai to it, think parts of Blue Powder and Sisters. That's a good thing, obviously ;)
    Thanks, this is the first and only time that someone will compare my playing to Vai! I tried to learn Sisters as an Ibanez owning youth, maybe part of my lizard brain remembered it sufficiently to rip it off, even if I couldn't whistle it for toffee now if you asked.

...had it been overlaid with a soft deep voice I'd have thought it was a Deepak Chakra piece...
    For a reasonable fee I'll do you a soft deep voice version, for your own personal enjoyment ;)
    (What you won't realise is that it's full of subliminal messages - "...five points for DrHungry..." )

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    DrHungry said:
    Thanks, this is the first and only time that someone will compare my playing to Vai! I tried to learn Sisters as an Ibanez owning youth, maybe part of my lizard brain remembered it sufficiently to rip it off, even if I couldn't whistle it for toffee now if you asked.

...had it been overlaid with a soft deep voice I'd have thought it was a Deepak Chakra piece...
    For a reasonable fee I'll do you a soft deep voice version, for your own personal enjoyment ;)
    (What you won't realise is that it's full of subliminal messages - "...five points for DrHungry..." )

Definitely just subtleties that reminded me of those tracks @DrHungry , most likely not even intended by you. I didn't mean you'd intentionally thought of those tracks.
    Voting ends tomorrow (31st March) at midnight.
    It's not a competition.
    Voting ends tonight at midnight.

It's not a competition.
  • susbemolsusbemol Frets: 403
    edited March 2022

3 Points @susbemol - Loved the Acoustic approach, very chilled with nicely executed phrases. Lovely tone. Was that Fingerstyle? For want of better descriptive words, I liked the "Attack" the "Snap" of the notes being played.
    Thanks, mate. I used a fairly thick pick for this one, like I normally do for most things.

Funny thing is that I actually find this particular guitar a bit too snappy for most things, unless played fingerstyle or really softly with a pick. It's the only acoustic I own though and I don't have plans to change that for the foreseeable future. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    susbemol said:

Thanks, mate. I used a fairly thick pick for this one, like I normally do for most things.

Funny thing is that I actually find this particular guitar a bit too snappy for most things, unless played fingerstyle or really softly with a pick. It's the only acoustic I own though and I don't have plans to change that for the foreseeable future. 
    I've not much experience for comparison of Acoustics, but I like it's sound.
    Voting closed.

It's not a competition.