Any Companies Offering Strat Style Necks with Thin Profiles?

What's Hot
Hi all.
Really fancying a hardtail classic looking Strat build (possibly slightly relic'd), but I've been exclusively playing Jackson & Ibanez guitars for the past 20 years. I played a friend's Mexican Strat and couldn't believe how thick the neck was. Not my thing at all.

Apart from Warmoth (shipping & import duty kills that option) does anyone in the UK supply Strat necks with slim profiles......?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• elstoofelstoof Frets: 2776
    What do you class as slim? Allparts do their “standard” profile which is 21.3mm at f1, 24.1mm f12. Not as thin as Warmoth standard thin though
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2676
    Squire classic vibes have skinny necks. I would class most fenders with a Modern C neck as skinny.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3129
    edited March 2022
    It also might not be the neck depth.  The thing that makes a neck feel thick is usually the haunches either side of the centre of the profile.  Taking some wood out of these areas makes a HUGE difference to the feel of the neck. 

On a strat-type build, then I would look for a 'V' profile neck - they are fairly widely available on the replacement necks market. 

I think I'm right in saying that for a good number of years the 'V' profile was the standard profile for strats and similar and then fell out of favour.  But it is a good profile for a super fast feel, thumb-over playing and still not getting the cramp you can get from playing a lot of bar chords on a neck that is actually thinner in depth than 'standard'.  There is also the 'soft V' that Clapton used to favour - that has the haunches slimmed to get the same effect but is rounder sided than a full 'V' and often suits players more used to the 'C' profile that is generally fitted on strats and their clones.
  • JimJim Frets: 20
    Thanks all! I'd been looking at those flat oval necks from Fender as well, very tempting! The issue is Fender use the terms "flat oval" and "modern C" interchangably, even though they're not the same, and it makes it hard to get any hard facts on thickness. 
    As discussed, neck profile makes a difference, but I picked up a Squier Bullet Hardtail Strat the other day, and did not like that neck, which has a C profile according to specs.
    My current go-to neck is on my Ibanez Prestige RG, and measures 18mm @ 1st fret & 20mm @ 12th, with a 43mm wide nut and a 17" radius.
    So definitely not Strat ballpark, but I'm starting to appreciate the Strat looks more and more.