Fuel Price Cap, Meter Readings and Martin Lewis hauled over the coals.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 7429

From Ofgem (hopefully it'll line up OK for you):

Current price cap period

(1 October 2021 - 31 March 2022)

Next price cap period

(1 April - 30 September 2022)

Electricity

£0.21 per kWh

Daily standing charge: £0.25

£0.28 per kWh

Daily standing charge: £0.45

Gas

£0.04 per kWh

Daily standing charge: £0.26

Good information.
      OFGEM state the new maximum variable price caps will be 45p for daily electricity standing charges & gas at 27p.

However Octopus (just for example) have new daily electricity standing charges from April above 45p for 8 out of 14 supply areas & gas standing charges of 27.22p across all areas.
    https://www.octopusreferral.link/octopus-energy-tariffs/
    (Flexible tariffs are shown lower down on the linked page).

What am I missing about fixed price caps here? It can't be the 5% VAT or some other hidden variable can it?
    Wow, never realised they changed different cost per region! Why, it’s the same gas and electricity that’s in the grid!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 8078
    mrkb said:

From Ofgem (hopefully it'll line up OK for you):

Current price cap period

(1 October 2021 - 31 March 2022)

Next price cap period

(1 April - 30 September 2022)

Electricity

£0.21 per kWh

Daily standing charge: £0.25

£0.28 per kWh

Daily standing charge: £0.45

Gas

£0.04 per kWh

Daily standing charge: £0.26

Good information.
      OFGEM state the new maximum variable price caps will be 45p for daily electricity standing charges & gas at 27p.

However Octopus (just for example) have new daily electricity standing charges from April above 45p for 8 out of 14 supply areas & gas standing charges of 27.22p across all areas.

What am I missing about fixed price caps here? It can't be the 5% VAT or some other hidden variable can it?
    Wow, never realised they changed different cost per region! Why, it’s the same gas and electricity that’s in the grid!
    Costs of moving it around. It's not all generated in the area its used.
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 840
    In Stewart Lee's stage voice "I hate Martin Lewis and I hate electricity"
    Do you think the brightest and best electricity should stay in electricityland instead of coming over 'ere and raising the SVT cap by 55%... the bloody electricity!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 2136
    bertie said:
    EON - Next  front page of their website ( @Devil#20 )

==================================================
    • Sorry, we're experiencing higher than usual levels of website traffic.

If you're having trouble logging in to your account, don't worry, you have until 9 April to give us your meter readings online for 31 March. Smart meter customers don't need to do anything as your readings will automatically be shared with us.

If you're on Smart PAYG, you can use your emergency credit if you can't top up. You won't be disconnected between 4pm and 10am, so you can try again tomorrow.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

Cheers Bertie mate. I gave up this morning and just noted my readings down. I don't know if they want cubic meters for the gas or the kWh so noted both. Oddly my electricity reading is very close to the gas reading in units of kWh but that's mere coincidence. I'm on smart meters but for some reason my bills are estimated. Here's me thinking they could take their own readings remotely. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20595
    mrkb said:
    Good information.

Of course... London is obviously the seat of all power generation in the UK, hence the lowest standing charge tariff? 
    Simples :astonished: 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17499
    mrkb said:
    Good information.

Of course... London is obviously the seat of all power generation in the UK, hence the lowest standing charge tariff? 
    Simples :astonished: 
    The cost of the infrastructure is split across all the properties it supplies.   Therefore the standing charge is less in densely populated areas
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014
    I've turned the boiler off. not using any gas. It's very cold in the house this morning but nothing compared to how things used to be with no double glazing in the cold winters. 
    Hopefully this hectic price rise will make people think more about the energy they use and whether they really need to use as much as they do. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13588
    @Devil#20 ;   - did mine this morning  with no problems
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3431
    We’d already done them for Scottish power. Just received an email with a ‘recalculation’ and on viewing the account the thieving scumbags have cancelled a prior bill that had an authorised meter reading (someone came out to do it) and would therefore give them less money, whilst also removing several meter readings that we had entered last year that wouldn’t suit their purposes. Of course, they are currently too busy to be contacted to discuss it. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25103
    A few weeks back I had the idea of doing readings on 31 March and I honestly thought I was being dead clever and nobody else would think of it.  Damn you Martin Lewis...

Anyway, I managed to get on the British Gas website last night and submitted my reading.  EDF Energy's site was down but they had an online form specifically for meter readings.  Let's see how it plays out.
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 2136
    edited April 2022
    bertie said:
    @Devil#20 ;;   - did mine this morning  with no problems
    Right, I'll go and have another go @bertie ;;

Edit: Just managed to log into my account. Submitted my reading and now it says I owe the bastards 38 quid and it's costing me 33.4% more a year. I've decided to go onto economy 7 and only play guitar through a Marshall stack in the middle of the night. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom