Sheryl Crow

What's Hot
RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6950
Any fans on here?

Having been aware of her since her first album, but not giving her much thought past My Favourite Mistake, which I’ve liked for years, I randomly decided to take the plunge on some live stuff on Spotify. 
Good lord, she’s got some pipes on her!

Way more good songs than I remembered, too.
 I’m now a fan.

https://youtu.be/MRQt5h-IDCg

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 13743
    Some proper 90s nostalgia when I hear a Sheryl Crow song.  I think at some point I owned her first two albums, singles are corkers for the most part.

Also did the theme for the most-underrated Bond movie...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014
    Love her.
    Some fantastic songs and such a cool voice. Her version of SCOM vastly improves on the original too
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2506
    She’s got a top band. Great twin guitar work by two consummate pros with guitars very much to my liking. And she is wonderful. 
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5321
    She did a fantastic open air set during lockdown which was a bit of a highlight for me during Covid 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1375
    edited April 2022
    Seen her twice live in recent years. Been good gigs. At the last one, Peter Stroud misfreted in the middle of one solo - doubt if many noticed - but he stopped for a split second, and then got back into the solo. At the end of the song, he and the other guitarist looked at each other, and roared with laughter( yeah, it's my turn to screw up tonight!!).
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    Great singer and a great songwriter with an awesome band. 
  • Yep, saw her live a few times around the  time of the Globe Sessions and she and her band were dynamite.
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16679
    She is great .
    Going back to some of her older stuff I really like Run Baby Run
    She's more devoted to country now and there are some fantastic studio recording videos .......especially her song 'We oughta be drinking " .......fantastic telecaster sounds in that and top rate musicians .......the drummer is the Aristocrats drummer who plays with Govan.
    She had a hiatus period when she was recovering from Cancer about 10 years ago.
    Only thing she has ever done wrong was Clapton.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Shes brilliant. As were/are her band. Jeremy Stacey was in her band for a while before Noel Gallagher Poached him. Never tire of watching him drum. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74500
    I like her studio albums a lot, especially the first three, but I had a live album of hers once and it was atrocious. (I think Clapton guested on one song, if that helps identify it.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    As above, absolutely fantastic. Her NPR Tiny Desk is great
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1303
    I was blown away by Tuesday Night Music Club when it came out, it was a real out of the blue record, she's done some great albums, she's had a few filler albums too, but even they contained one or two gems, I think her last album is much more back to basics like her first few albums in terms of song writing style.

Live - she's good, good band etc, but as ICMB said, her live albums of Central Park and the one in Japan have some really average playing on 
    ICBM said:
    I like her studio albums a lot, especially the first three, but I had a live album of hers once and it was atrocious. (I think Clapton guested on one song, if that helps identify it.)
    There's something about knowing it will be a live album that makes bands far more likely to phone it in.

The most famous 90s example is the Wembley show for Oasis' Familiar To Millions.  Contrary to popular myth, Oasis were always a well-rehearsed professional live band for their first few tours, but this show was recorded just after Patsy Kensit had left Liam and he went on stage drunk and then got worse from there.

The editing and splicing of other vocal tracks make it a listenable live album (if you like Oasis, let's not have another fucking "I like/I hate" thread please with the Queen one still going) but it's not how it went on the night!!
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1558
    She's terrific - singer, songwriter - and I love the fact she plays bass as well when fronting her band!

...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1050
    Any fans on here?

Having been aware of her since her first album, but not giving her much thought past My Favourite Mistake, which I’ve liked for years, I randomly decided to take the plunge on some live stuff on Spotify. 

I’m now a fan.

Good looking woman, not sure about her music :)

She makes me happy ... very happy ... 
    “Ken sent me.”
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4904
    She is a very good singer in many styles and I really like her,.  Saw her a few years ago at the RAH and it was a great gig.

My absolute favourite clip of her is when she sang with Loretta Lynn and Miranda Lambert and sounded more country than both of them put together.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    Any fans on here?

I’m now a fan.

Good looking woman, not sure about her music :)

She makes me happy ... very happy ... 
    Well if she makes you happy, she can't be that bad?
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CryptidCryptid Frets: 416
    I like her taste in guitars and pickups, appreciate her musicality, and applaud her refusal to get her face modified/frozen in time. Good role model. Her music doesn't really do it for me, although the missus is a big fan. 

Wouldn't mind either of her signature Gibsons - especially the Southern Jumbo. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    Something that I didn't realise until I read Guy Pratt's book is why her first album and original backing band were called the "Tuesday Night Music Club" 

It was an actual club of musicians which included a rolling cast of a few different session and band musicians who would join in and jam (Including Guy Pratt although he isn't on the album). It eventually turned into Sheryl's band and resulted in the first album.

She started off as one of Michael Jackson's backing singers so you know she's going to have pipes.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6464
    Dominic said:

Only thing she has ever done wrong was Clapton.
    But managed to get a great song out of it though !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback