Sheryl Crow

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 31591
    Audley Freed is an absolute monster guitarist.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    edited April 2022
    Not normally a fan of this style of pop but Sheryl Crow released some absolute bangers in the 90s. Also produced one of the best Bond themes ever.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MattharrierMattharrier Frets: 464
    I remember when "All I Wanna Do" came out, I loved it and played it a lot. I listened to Tuesday Night Music Club a fair bit, but I never actually owned it and I never got any of her other stuff so I'm only familiar with the singles of the 90s.

Anything I hear from her is quality though, and she generally makes for an engaging and pleasant interview. I can't claim to be a big fan, but I do have a soft spot for her.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25568
    Danny1969 said:
    Love her.
    Some fantastic songs and such a cool voice. Her version of SCOM vastly improves on the original too
    SCOM is improved even further if you take SC's version but play Duff's bass part with it.

Discovered that by accident when I was supposed to learn the SC version for a gig and decided to be lazy and just play the part I already knew.

Amusingly the singer (bless her naivety) hadn't actually heard the original and congratulated me on improving the bass part!
    :D 

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JotaJota Frets: 466
    Been a fan since the early 00's when I got her C'Mon America Live DVD.
    Her current band is amazing and her "country" record is one of my favprites.
    This playlist with songs from that record performed live at the studio is a great watch:

• ICBM said:
    I like her studio albums a lot, especially the first three, but I had a live album of hers once and it was atrocious. (I think Clapton guested on one song, if that helps identify it.)
    Yeah, I’ve not heard that one, but I’ve heard two other live albums of hers - as well as a good few pro-shot shows on YouTube - and they’ve all been excellent, so I think that one with Clapton on might have been an anomaly.

• Jota said:
    Been a fan since the early 00's when I got her C'Mon America Live DVD.
    Her current band is amazing and her "country" record is one of my favprites.
    This playlist with songs from that record performed live at the studio is a great watch:

Definitely going to watch those! Top quality! Thanks for the heads up.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    RocknRollDave said:

Yeah, I’ve not heard that one, but I’ve heard two other live albums of hers - as well as a good few pro-shot shows on YouTube - and they’ve all been excellent, so I think that one with Clapton on might have been an anomaly.
    After darcym mentioned it, I remembered it was the Central Park one. Just awful, despite several very good performers on it who I normally like (and not just Clapton).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 182
    Riverwide - brilliant song
    Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

• ICBM said:
    RocknRollDave said:

After darcym mentioned it, I remembered it was the Central Park one. Just awful, despite several very good performers on it who I normally like (and not just Clapton).

This is from one of the live albums I thought was decent (the playlist on YouTube is the whole album, I think.)
    As ever YMMV, but I like it.

• CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 877
    edited April 2022
    Seen her live a couple of times. Both were great gigs. The band were fantastic, especially Peter Stroud. Couldn’t take my eyes off him when he was wrangling those palm benders.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1738
    Any fans on here?

Having been aware of her since her first album, but not giving her much thought past My Favourite Mistake, which I’ve liked for years, 

Yeah, she's great, and My Favourite Mistake is one helluva song. Dripping with menace and foreboding(is that a word ?)  from the opening riff. Great production on it too - sounds fantastic on proper high-end audio kit if you ever get the chance.
  • AsterixTGAsterixTG Frets: 315
    Yeah, like SC - proper pro. Look at things like this and see how effortlessly she and her band enjoy making good music.

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3413
    edited April 2022
    I liked her early stuff and I first saw her as a backing singer on a Don Henley Tour (she'd just come off the Michael Jackson Tour) and also doing a solo session in HMV, Oxford Street and she was great.

Obviously, she can write, sing and play but there's some controversy surrounding the Tuesday Night Club and
    song-writing credits on the first 2 albums, as shown here: - 

The group existed as a casual songwriting collective prior to its association with Crow, but rapidly developed into a vehicle for her debut album after her arrival (she was at the time dating Kevin Gilbert, who actually co-wrote most of the songs for this album along with Crow, Baerwald, Ricketts, Bottrell, Schwartz and MacLeod). Her relationship with Gilbert became acrimonious soon after the album release and there were disputes about songwriting credits. In interviews later, Crow claimed to have written them. Both Gilbert and Baerwald castigated Crow publicly in the fallout, although Baerwald later softened his position. A similar tension arose with TMC member Bill Bottrell after her second album, on which he collaborated during the early stages.

As an aside, the late Kevin Gilbert was very talented and also went on to work with Madonna but sadly died at 29. Bringing bassist Guy Pratt back into this, he along with Tim Pierce and Pat Leonard (also Madonna) were part of a band, Toy Matinee, that Kevin Gilbert put together for just one album. If you like adult 80s pop (think Go West), this is a superb album.