Kingfish

What's Hot
EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16667
I was vaguely aware of him but his last album 662 won the best blues album Grammy and he’s certainly very good at what he does (even if many will find it old hat). Usual set up is guitar-MXR Sugar Drive- wah-Aquapuss delay- Peavey Delta Blues. Which is probably more of a modest set up than many on here have ( and whatever moral you take from that). 

Anyway, Kingfish…

https://youtu.be/_d3vsdmgjLw
Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    About five years ago, somebody I knew got disproportionately keen on the Blues stylings of young Christone Ingram. My friend needed something to fill the void left by Michael "Iron Man" Burks. I suspect that he was hoping that Blues would become fashionable again. This might have created new opportunities for my friend to get gigs and, maybe, a little appreciation. At the time, it struck me as a little bit desperate. 

Back to the point. Ingram has some brilliant moments and some when he seems to be coasting. Some days, I am in the right mood to listen. Some days, I am not.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16667
    Oddly enough the one thing I remember about Burks was that he was quite influenced by Gary Moore (IIRC he had played on the same bill as Moore early on and revised his entire approach after)and watching Kingfish being interviewed he mentioned Prince and Moore as major influences. That a 23 year old from Mississippi has any idea who Gary Moore was seems fairly surprising. 
    Ingram seemed to be yet another of those wunderkind blues guitarists who can whizz around the fretboard but are fundamentally deeply dull for most people to listen to. However, this album seems to be more song oriented - an attempt to do something more than just play licks for 40 minutes. I think the second song starts 'woke up this morning...' which I wasn't sure if it was a bit naive or very tongue in cheek. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 9018
    I'm interested to see that he's playing a Starcaster.  I don't believe I have seen anybody else playing a blues set with one.
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 407
    Saw Kingfish last night in London and consider myself totally blown away.  My son offered me tickets for a birthday present (I’d never heard of him) and I listened  to a brief clip beforehand.  One of the best guitar acts I’ve seen.  Hints of early Allman Brothers, Buddy Whittington and Johnny Hiland plus as whole lot more.  According my my son, his albums show his increasing ability so maybe some of you could revisit and check him out again. 

FYI, he was on a twin humbucker Tele with Fender (Twin?) and a 2x12 Orange - although I couldn’t see if that was an amp or just a cab.  The Fender didn’t have the usual light on the front panel so maybe it was Kemper all along :P 

450 mile round trip plus 2 hours on the tube but worth every minute.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom