How to improve battery capability on a Kala U-Bass

What's Hot
I bought one of those Ukulele-sized acoustic basses a few years back. It sounds like a double bass - amazing
Trouble is it runs off 2 CR2032 watch batteries, and every time I pick it up they have gone flat 

I think they did a USB rechargeable option for a while after I bought mine
Is there a good way to fit a better battery, perhaps a rechargeable?

U-Bass  SMHG-FS

The battery compartment looks like this:

see 1:55 in

the newer ones have this:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2471
    That’s weird, I got a Kala U-Bass a few years ago and occasionally gig it - still on the original batteries.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15262
    edited April 2022
    Remove the jack socket* and battery compartment panel. Inspect the connections. It should be TRS with the battery on/off on the ring contact. 

Any short between the ring and sleeve terminals will drain the battery just as surely as leaving a cable permanently plugged in.

If, for example, the jack is cheap, it is possible that the sprung terminals have rotated and now physically touch each other whenever there is no jack plug inserted.

If you can see nothing obviously wrong, photograph the offending parts and post pics. ICBM will probably know immediately what needs fixing. 

* This may require one of those tools for tightening or loosening the threaded ring on a Switchcraft toggle selector switch.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74475
    What Funkfingers said. Unless you’re leaving it plugged in, if the batteries are going flat that fast there’s a fault somewhere which is leaving them connected, most likely at the jack.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I can vouch for what's been said - my daughter has had a ubass for nearly two years and never had to change the battery. Sounds like there's something making yours stay powered up when it shouldn't be. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom