SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Looking for a Kramer

What's Hot
tabanotabano Frets: 100
edited April 2022 in Guitars £
I am looking for a Kramer guitar,
new reissues and previous 2015 reissues consider but not the bottom line models please,
not interested in:
strikers
any of the bigger S style body shaped ones
neck throughout construction 
non S style body shapes,
neon or tiger colours.

thank youuuu!! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• kipplekipple Frets: 371
    edited April 2022
    tabano said:
    I am looking for a Kramer guitar,
    new reissues and previous 2015 reissues consider but not the bottom line models please,
    not interested in:
    strikers
    any of the bigger S style body shaped ones
    neck throughout construction 
    non S style body shapes,
    neon or tiger colours.

thank youuuu!! 
    If it's any help the Indo built Kramer 84 specifically from 2016 -2017 years are worth checking out. First 2 numbers of the serial are the year...
    I have 2 indo 84 one is 2016 the other 2017 and both are great guitars and are head and shoulders above any other modern Kramers that I have owned or played. 
    This one in the pic below is a 2017 build it is the 84 it has a maple body.
    I will say though that in my experience the different models such as the pacer imperial or pacer vintage from 2016-2017 are not the same quality

When I first had my 2016 built 84 which is a diver down paint job I also had a Kramer pacer special that was actually built in 1984 with a Sports maple body and a Sports neck with the beak headstock and the 2016 built 84 and the real 1984 built Kramer sounded virtually identical. The 2016 built one was a better player than the real 1984 built pacer special.

I do have a sound basis for comparison as I have owned and still own vintage Kramers and I have owned quite a few of the modern ones ranging from 2008 right up to 2021.
    Music Yo era and 2016-2017 definitely seem to me to be better years for modern era Kramers.

Biggest bang for buck for my money right now are the early Focus from 84-85 and the JK1000 series which from 1986 were all ESP built.
    Although I do actually have a very early JK1000 with serial number 0185 that was not ESP built and its easily one of my best kramers. it's a heavy ass maple body. 

These pics are the 2017 Kramer 84

https://i.imgur.com/m0povmr.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/8OyojZ5.jpg
    I put peoples heads in horse's beds

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tabanotabano Frets: 100
    edited April 2022
    Wow man!!! you know your Kramers!!,
    thanks a lot for all the info kipple, it really is helpful!
    so basically your suggestion is to find an Indonesian 2016/2017 built better than buying any current reissues right? are  the 84s generally better than the pacer for any particular reason?
    a Jk 1000 is already at the top of my list but they don’t come by very often...,by the way, is the one on the pic a polar white finish?
    edited April 2022
    tabano said:
    Wow man!!! you know your Kramers!!,
    thanks a lot for all the info kipple, it really is helpful!
    so basically your suggestion is to find an Indonesian 2016/2017 built better than buying any current reissues right? are  the 84s generally better than the pacer for any particular reason?
    a Jk 1000 is already at the top of my list but they don’t come by very often...,by the way, is the one on the pic a polar white finish?
    Yes I definitely highly recommend the Indo 2016-2017 model 84 or music Yo but the Yo ones are expensive now.
    The 84 in the pic is white not sure what kramer actually calls the color.

I have no real insight as to actually why there are differences but the Kramer pacer vintage that I bought and played from same era 2016-17 were very hit and miss they had flaws in finish and neck pockets were not cut as accurately which results in neck alignment issues.

The BIGGEST thing was the sound/tone of the 2016-17 Pacers was nowhere near as good as the 84 models. Also the nut shelf on a couple of the pacers were cut so the Floyd nut sat too high for my liking. The neck profile on the pacers are different but that is not really a negative that's just a matter of taste. The Pacer versions were what Kramer describe as the Pacer Vintage, I wouldn't buy another. 

The current Kramers are VERY hit and miss, I bought 3 Tiger pacers last year and all 3 had to be returned. Last year a friend of mine bought a Soda Green 84 Alder body I think 2020 production and it is a superb guitar so I bought one and when mine turned up it was a train Wreck, The neck pocket was very badly cut it looked like it had slipped in the Jig when being cut and the edge of the neck pocket on the bass side was cut at one angle half way through and another angle the other half. So it went back..

Here are some JK1000 I have with me now
    Something here to fuel your gas... Sorry! 

1st pic is my ash body JK1000 it's got a Seymour Duncan ' MJ ' wound  AKA Maricela Juarez Screamin demon in bridge.
    2nd pic is also JK1000 looks black one day and blue the next it's also got an MJ wound pickup which is a JB
    3rd pic is my Maple bodied JK1000 and is serial number 0185 so probably one of the very 1st batches made in JK series and its got a Seymour Duncan MJ wound JB 

To be honest I am still learning about Kramers and still have some huge gaps/blind spots in my knowledge but I'm getting there and when I don't know stuff I go to the Kramer forum for help.

https://i.imgur.com/RDRRq5a.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/JLqDBYL.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/F3K7xuC.jpg

Wow!  nice guitars man, proper examples!
    it’s a shame that the new ones are so hit and miss, I guess is best to try before buying but here in London, there is no 84 nor pacer in stock atm.
    I will keep my eyes open for an ESP, MusicYo or 2016-2017 Indo then..
    btw, what amp do you normally plug them into if I might ask Kipple?
  • BGGBGG Frets: 699
    I recently bought an 80’s LK1-BF and I love it. Plays and sounds fantastic, way better than the 80’s Barretta and Pacer I owned back then, and loved them too. 
    This has such a great neck, can’t believe it was only £400, ridiculous.

https://i.imgur.com/Ve5Skcr.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/O51eHjE.jpg

#thebatesmotelband
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 830
    Any idea on budget? I have a MusicYo 1984 in black, with added neck pickup, and both pickups upgraded to Seymour rails I might consider letting go.
    BGG said:
    I recently bought an 80’s LK1-BF and I love it. Plays and sounds fantastic, way better than the 80’s Barretta and Pacer I owned back then, and loved them too. 

You bought the one I saw on eBay a few weeks ago!!
    I cannot believe I didn’t buy it,
    I wanted de to try a Charvel beforehand and you bought it the day I was going to buy it! Lol!
    congratulations and enjoy this beauuuutiful example!

edited April 2022
    tabano said:
    it’s a shame that the new ones are so hit and miss, I guess is best to try before buying but here in London, there is no 84 nor pacer in stock atm.
    I am using a 100 Watt 5150 III 6L6 and I also have a modded Marshall although I am just about to sell the Marshall
    https://i.imgur.com/1zHy606.jpg

andy_k said:
    Any idea on budget? I have a MusicYo 1984 in black, with added neck pickup, and both pickups upgraded to Seymour rails I might consider letting go.
    I am flexible budget wise, I can go up or down for the right guitar, as long as it is fairly priced,
    did you ad a single coil?
    any photos buy any chance?
    feel free to PM me if you want mate!

kipple said:
    tabano said:
    I am using a 100 Watt 5150 III 6L6 and I also have a modded Marshall although I am just about to sell the Marshall
    Nice choice!
    wherever I buy, I will be running it through a stock 100w Super Lead with an original Guvnor pedal in front of it most likely, but the 5150 is another classic!,
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3165
    Jersey Star?
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

paulnb57 said:
    Jersey Star?
    Sorry but not my cup of tea,
    thank you!
    BGG said:

Does that LK of your's by any chance have slight damage to finish on the edge of the body just by the Jack input? and is it a Schaller Floyd rose, if so then I think that used to belong to one of my mates, Take a look at pic below.
    I was surprised when my mate sold it and I think he regretted it afterwards.

You had a real REAL bargain killer guitar at £400
    An LK1-BF and a JK1000 are the same guitar apart from the Trem system, The JK1000 came with a German Floyd and the LK1 Came with the Takeuchi Trem but... My mate changed the Takeuchi Trem out on his LK1 for a German made Schaller Floyd rose...  Which is why I asked because yours looks like it has the schaller on it.
    I seem to remember the LK1 guitar my mate had was in really great condition apart from the Ding, I think my mate calls himself NavyUK or something like that on Ebay. Very nice and cool guitar either way 

All the JK LK series were made for the domestic Japanese market only and they had their own brochures that were only ever circulated in Japan and I don't know if you would know this but back in the day when it came to building Kramer building guitars for USA market Kramer gave ESP very strict budget/cost restraints regarding the materials they were allowed to use for the necks fretboards and bodies for the  USA/American series and the Focus guitars.
    BUT... When it cam to the Japan only market JK LK series ESP were given free reign by Kramer and were allowed to use whatever materials they wanted and as a result quite often the materials used for the bodies and necks and fretboards were way superior also the Japanese pride and sense of competition would not allow them to produce guitars that were below par.
    One of my white JK1000 that has the single coil size neck pickup has one of the thickest slabs of rosewood for the fretboard that I have ever seen on any bolt on neck and the body is Ash and it absolutely sings.

The workmanship on the neck of my other white JK1000 with the single pickup has an insane degree of workmanship put into it. In the same way a Gibson has fret end binding nibs my JK has Rosewood fret end nibs left on the edge of the fretboard that are actually part of the fretboard itself . The nibs were a result of someone painstakingly levelling down the rosewood fretboard whilst leaving the wood for the nibs intact and sitting out at a higher point than the fretboard so they act as nibs . That would have taken a lot of work and skill to do that. The Rosewood on the fretboard is so smooth and hard it's more like Ebony, 

This in the pic is the area on my mates arun LK that had a small ding. is it the same ne you have?
    https://i.imgur.com/aiJWQoD.jpg

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tabano said:
    kipple said:
    tabano said:
    Nice choice!
    wherever I buy, I will be running it through a stock 100w Super Lead with an original Guvnor pedal in front of it most likely, but the 5150 is another classic!,
    Wow!  Superlead is a beast and the Guvnor is a great pedal through it, What year is it, Do you run it as a Non Master volume or are you using something to tame it.

paulnb57 said:
    Jersey Star?
    What year is the jersey star please

kipple said:
    paulnb57 said:
    Jersey Star?
    About 2020
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

edited April 2022
    paulnb57 said:
    kipple said:
    paulnb57 said:
    Jersey Star?
    About 2020
    Ok thanks for that
    I would have been interested in an original 80s era . Probably sounds daft but I need to find a set of West germany Schaller tuners and I would have bought it and swapped the tuners out for grovers and used the Schallers on an old Kramer Vanguard I have here, unfortunately the 2020 versions don't have the west german versions. So it wouldn't really be any use but... Out of interest How much you asking please.

kipple said:
    paulnb57 said:
    kipple said:
    paulnb57 said:
    Jersey Star?
    About 2020
    Ok thanks for that
    I would have been interested in an original 80s era . Probably sounds daft but I need to find a set of West germany Schaller tuners and I would have bought it and swapped the tuners out for grovers and used the Schallers on an old Kramer Vanguard I have here, unfortunately the 2020 versions don't have the west german versions. So it wouldn't really be any use but... Out of interest How much you asking please.
    Ill pm you, dont really want to intrude on this thread…

• BGGBGG Frets: 699
    @@kipple it certainly does have those dings and the Schaller Floyd. 
    I’m sure the seller was nicesellerfromlondon his name was Greg. 
    Bloody brilliant guitar and Deffo a bargain. 
    #thebatesmotelband
  • NightswanNightswan Frets: 1525
    I have one that I might be tempted to part with. Dunno if it's exactly what you are after though.

1987/88 USA Kramer Pacer Custom II, ESP Japan made and assembled in USA (unlike the Jolana Pacer Customs which were Czechoslovakia).  Maple neck with Rosewood board, Kramer 'Claw' inlays. Original Floyd Rose Trem, Schaller Tuners, Seymour Duncan JBJ Bridge Humbucker (Marciela Juarez wound) 2 X Seymour Duncan APS-1 Staggered Single Coils. Pointy headstock with Large K to Small R Kramer Pyramid logo. Just been refinished in Candy Purple Raspberry.