Why does Eric Clapton attract so much negative comment..

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 13740
    Jalapeno said:
    poopot said:

plus he’s done nothing of worth since cream… Edge of Darkness
    FTFY

Edge of Darkness was great.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Greatape said:

A third-rate 'blues jam night' guitarist. He's a lick-spaffer. There's no thought to melody. (And I don't mean 'long and complicated - BB can be very melodic with two notes.) Worst of all, his time feel, note placement etc. It's appalling. Has he actually listened to Otis Rush, or indeed any of those guys? The push and pull - sometimes subtle, other times less so - is what makes that music come to life. He sounds like a school marching band playing blues. Except they'd do it better. 

Oh man, this is perfectly put. 
    100% on the money.

• KeikoKeiko Frets: 1121
    "love is lovely"

At some point he's thought to himself, "yeah that's a great lyric, thats going in."

Stay off the drugs kids.
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3891
    Greatape said:

A third-rate 'blues jam night' guitarist. He's a lick-spaffer. There's no thought to melody. (And I don't mean 'long and complicated - BB can be very melodic with two notes.) Worst of all, his time feel, note placement etc. It's appalling. Has he actually listened to Otis Rush, or indeed any of those guys? The push and pull - sometimes subtle, other times less so - is what makes that music come to life. He sounds like a school marching band playing blues. Except they'd do it better. 

Oh man, this is perfectly put. 
    100% on the money.
    Look, I get it - many people are deeply emotionally invested in the guy's music. They love him. He's a beloved part of their childhood. And I don't really want to piss on their chips. That's like the presenter of a favourite kid's show from your childhood turning out to be a wrong 'un. 

However. The question was asked. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11683
    My guitar educaton came in significant part from Clapton - Yardbirds, Bluesbreakers, Cream, Blind Faith. I still listen to this stuff and love it.

Having read his biography and discovered that he's rather whiny I'm less minded to like him as a person. I don't care about the political ramblings of a drunk, people can change.

However, the two big reasons fo rme are:
    - He let himself be affected by a less-than-flattering Rolling Stone article. Did he not realise that Roliing Stone treat music as a backdrop to their writing (which for them is the most important thing), not as something of worth in itself?
    - A man who could play spell-binding guitar chose to come out with a succession of, I believe, boring "oh the songs are so important" albums which were nothing special compared to the innovation that came beforehand.
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 954
    edited April 2022
    Greatape said:

With that out of the way:

The least important part of Cream. (Jack Bruce's subsequent solo work bears that out). 

One of these guitarists is a musician, and the other is Eric Clapton:

Pompous drivel 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CoolCatCoolCat Frets: 163
    Each to their own however, I thought his acoustic album, Unplugged, was brilliant.

Just as an FYI - he released Unplugged way back 1992!
    'Life is very short, and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend' - Lennon & McCartney (We can work it out).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3891
    Greatape said:

With that out of the way:

The least important part of Cream. (Jack Bruce's subsequent solo work bears that out). 

One of these guitarists is a musician, and the other is Eric Clapton:

Pompous drivel 
    Thanks for your reasoned analysis.