Acoustic Strings

What's Hot
I've always used Elixirs on acoustic (since 2004 or so), but now I have a higher quality acoustic I'm finding they aren't quite as snappy as brand new 80/20 strings, and wondering if anything has moved on in the string world since I last tried anything else.

I like the feel of the Elixirs but interested if there are any other coated or corrosion-resistant strings out there? Anyone have any ideas?
The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24852
    Are you using Nanowebs? They are much better than the Polywebs.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27322
    Yup, only used ploys once - they were horrible!

The Nanos aren't bad at all, just pondering whether there's anything else worth trying
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    I really like Newtone Masterclass Phosphor Bronze Strings.  Depends a bit on the guitar you're playing but if you haven't tried them theyre worth a go.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27322
    daveww said:
    I really like Newtone Masterclass Phosphor Bronze Strings.  Depends a bit on the guitar you're playing but if you haven't tried them theyre worth a go.

Are they coated? I've never found an uncoated set that lasts more than an hour with my sweat :(
    No they're not coated.  If you wipe them regularly you should be ok though....

I use one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Swipe-Guitar-String-Cleaner/dp/B004JJUMOM#cm_cr_dpwidget and I've never liked any of the coated strings I've tried.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11480
    daveww said:

I had some D strings that would not intonate with these - if you got above the 3rd fret it was so bad it was unplayable.  There were 3 bad ones in about 7 or 8 sets.  Maybe they came from a bad batch but I'm going back to D'Addario.
    Strange. I've had many sets and never had an issue... They've a really good reputation.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9674
    The D'Addario EXPs are worth a shot. I think of them as a halfway house between uncoated strings and Elixirs and a good compromise between tone, longevity, feel and cost. Coated strings seem to be a very personal thing and you may not like them, but worth a try.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The D'Addario EXPs are worth a shot. I think of them as a halfway house between uncoated strings and Elixirs and a good compromise between tone, longevity, feel and cost. Coated strings seem to be a very personal thing and you may not like them, but worth a try.
    This. I have pretty corrosive fingertips but D'Addario seems to ride out the storm both on electric and acoustic and at a fraction of the cost of the Elixirs (I don't like the feel of the Elixirs either). 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • Try the Fender Duratone.