1x15 Guitar Cab

What's Hot
NomadNomad Frets: 549

Been musing recently on the idea of a 1x15 cab for guitar, probably open back. Happy to consider making my own if something doesn't turn up (Peavey Classic 115e extension cab is what set this off, but haven't seen any for sale yet).

What sonic differences can be expected from open back 1x12 and 1x10? Any suggestions for a suitable driver?

Nomad
Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• More natural bass, you don't really lose any top, at least I haven't noticed and loss, but only a gain. Beware though some guitars seem to sound better with 10's or 12's.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    DO IT!!! then drop tuning down to A, get a fuzz pedal and doom out!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014

I did a bunch of Stoner Rock songs once which were all tracked using a  Fender into a 1 x 15" Ampeg cab, good for that Kyuss kinda sound
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • i've just built a 1x15 out of some reclaimed parana pine and i put an eminence big ben speaker in it. the speaker is  british voiced and gives a very marshally flavour. its has alot more midrange going on than the 4x10 i was using before. loads of bottom end  so i have to back off my bass to around 2 or 3 and it not as bright and chimey like the 4x10, which was kind of what i was after.  i'm quite chuffed with it so far.

here is the link with a few pics if you're interested

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/17117/

The Swamp City Shakers