SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD: L Series Canon lenses (in Oz)

What's Hot
TanninTannin Frets: 6020
edited April 2022 in Misc £
I shouldn't think that anyone here would be interested, given the difficulties of being half a world away, but for the sake of form I'll mention that I'm about to sell the following Canon lenses. 

* EF 500 f/4L IS USM
* EF 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS USM
* EF 35 f/1.4L  USM (Mark I)
* TS/E 24 f/3.5L tilt-shift lens (Mark I)
* Swarovski ATS 80 HD 80mm spotting scope

I'm going to put them on consignment at a shop in Melbourne but I'll mention them here just in case someone is interested. 

They are all excellent quality in perfect working order, and in most cases cosmetically very good too. Still have boxes and giblets for the 500/4, the 35/1.4 and the tilt-shift. I haven't worked out prices yet as I'll take advice on that from the chap in the shop where I'm taking them (and from one or two other people if in doubt) but I'm not looking to maximise return, just to get something around reasonable with as little bother as possible. 

* The 500/4 has done a heap of work and never missed a beat, but ever since I bought a 600/4 II it's been a case queen.
* The 70-300 is a lovely little lens but always in the shadow of my 100-400 II so it seldom gets used.
* The 24 tilt shift is almost unused. One of my most pointless purchases, it is really good at doing sorts of photography I seldom or never do.
* The 35/1.4 is a brilliant low-light, intimate people and street lens but I'm not a people person. 
* The scope is old but in perfect nic. I have hardly used it since I got the 500 and 600mm lenses. Despite its age, there is not much difference between it and a brand new one. 

All of this could go towards financing the one big hole in my lens collection - a 400/4 DO, which I would use.  But I rather suspect I'll blow the lot on a custom shop Maton. love

If you have any interest in any of this kit, sing out and I'll see what we can work out.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    edited April 2022
    I doubt it worth it due to the shipping costs to be honest but what’s the shipped price for the 70-300 to the U.K.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 6020
    I'm travelling just at the moment @boogieman but I'll get back to you when I'm not on mobile.
    Cool, no rush  ;)
    Cheers @boogieman

A quick look at E-bay shows me new prices in AUD before shipping between $1680 (Hong Kong) and $2100 and buy-it-now used prices between $1050 and $1600, mostly around $1100 to $1300. That's £622 to £736.  I'd be happy  to clear $1000, maybe $900 at a pinch. Freight isn't bad at all, around $50 to $100 depending on speed and insurance. So call it your cost $1000 all up, or about £550. (But see below.)

The killer might be VAT. If you have to pay 20% VAT, it just wouldn't make sense, and I reckon you will, but I don't know how the UK laws work.

I'm usually based in southern Tasmania but I'm in Ballarat at the moment - i.e., mainland Australia about two hours drive west of Melbourne. I've got the lens with me and it is my intention to take it (and the others listed) in to a particular Melbourne consignment dealer later this week and, depending on what they have to say, leave them there. (The 500/4 is not a good thing to post: too big and too expensive. I prefer to hand-deliver that one where I can. The others are much smaller.)  I'll take advice from the dealer re sensible values but I'm guessing that the 70-300 would be the easiest of the 4 to move, and bring in something like $1200, give or take. Subtract commission and we are in the ballpark. 

But all of this is before finding out what the score is. I'll get a proper value and we can go from there.

I think the thing to do is find out whether you will have to pay VAT. If so, I can't see a way forward that gives us both a reasonable deal. 20% is just a killer. This lens has already had Australian GST (= VAT by another name) paid on it long since and is not new. Maybe that makes a difference.

Meanwhile, I'll call the dealer when the shops open after Easter and let you know what I find out. 

Ah yes, I hadn’t even thought about import taxes. A quick Google says I’ll pay 4.5% import duty, plus 20% VAT on top of the whole lot…purchase price and import tax. So it’s just not going to be worthwhile for me when I can pick up a similar lens from a dealer here including shipping and a warranty for around £600. 

Thanks for the detailed reply anyway ;)  hope you get a decent price for the gear. 
    Cheers mate. We will leave it at that then.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Just a note on a point of detail: there is no import duty payable on items from Australia (a free trade agreement applies). But that massive 20% VAT rate is a killer.