SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Gibson ES-135, 2005, BK P90's, HSC - SOLD

What's Hot
DB1DB1 Frets: 5031
edited August 2022 in Guitars £
Hopefully it's OK to start another sales thread while I've got another one going - the other one's getting a bit involved as usual.

I bought this recently from the forum - it was a bit of a tentative buy as I'd had an ES-135 before (with HB's) and wasn't massively impressed. But I do like them, and the thought of the P90's did it for me. I'm not sure which P90's they are - I've had the pickups out and still can't tell - I suppose they could be Half Notes as I'm getting half the notes wrong every time I play it.

This one's really impressive though - this is the closest to a vintage Gibson semi-acoustic P90 sound that I've ever had, without it being a vintage Gibson semi-acoustic P90 guitar. The neck is very comfortable - shades of '64 feel about and it feels rock solid. I mean, it feels like a neck should, but there's a satisfying palmful there. And with that, there goes my only chat up line. And that was never true either.

It does give off the vintage vibe in terms of it's looks, because it ain't a case queen. It's got a few little dings (most notably by the bridge pickup, but I suspect that someone was trying to eat it as it's so tasty. It's got some marks on the headstock, but I'm not prepared to speculate as to what they may be, although I'd avoid getting them DNA tested.. Sorry, getting a bit overwrought here. Great for smoky jazz/blues etc - I don't know about anything else as I can't play anything else.

I don't know how to classify this - there's obviously shades of ES-175 and ES-225 in there, but there's also a centre block, which is balsa. Depth is between ES-225 and ES-175 territory, so it fills a gap, as they say. Maybe ES Les Paul as well - anyway, I think it looks great, it plays ever so well and sounds great. It's got a generic hard  case with it too.  

The cry goes up: 'so if you're that impressed, why are you selling it, you gin-soaked menace?' - well, good question. It's because I keep buying guitars and I have to try and sell some. My medication clearly isn't strong enough, because I've gone and bought too many again, and have to try and be a bit more sensible. Look - I'm trying to avoid saying 'thinning the herd' here.

Asking £1199 for this, which I think is a bit of a bargain - this also includes getting a pro setup next week (as opposed to me doing it) because when I got it, there was a bit of a crackle and volume differences when switching between pickups. I'd feel better if it was done, but if you're good at this sort of thing and would prefer to do it yourself, you can save £50.

As usual, happy to meet up or deliver - the usual seedy meeting spots apply.  Although I did pick this one up at Frankley Services on the M5. Now that's weird.

Any questions, just ask or drop me a message. Especially about the meeting areas. Mrs DB1 read one of my sales posts the other day - mentioning the dogging areas, laybys, deserted picnic areas etc,  and said, accusingly, 'I bet you get loads of messages asking to meet up'.

I don't know what sort of weirdo she thinks frequents this forum. I do, though. o

Call me Dave.
1reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• greejngreejn Frets: 133
    bargain for someone!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5031
    Thanks Jon - I 'think' that the going rate is around the £1400-£1500 mark, although there are some slightly optimistic prices knocking about as well.

Full transparency - I paid slightly less, so by the time I've had the set up done and added in a few quid for fuel,  I aim to break even. It came from the forum at a great price, so it's going back to the forum at a great price.
    Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3377
    As ever, one of the finest sets of revolving doors…

Another fine looking instrument good sir, you have impeccable taste.
    Thank you - you're very kind. 'Revolving door' suits it perfectly. My wife's convinced that it's to set up clandestine meetings with gentlemen, and I'm letting her think that, because it's better * than her knowing that I'm a weak-willed lunatic.

* Maybe. See how it goes.

Call me Dave.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I've had a question about weight. Cheeky.

Actually, it's a good question. because the centre block does add a little bit of heft to it. It's about 16 ounces heavier than an average ES-175 and similar to an average modern ES-335.
    Call me Dave.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6884
    Blimey. If that had a Bigsby then I would bite, gnash and lick your arm off. Fancy a trade for a fano alt de facto SP6?  ;)
    You could always put a Bigsby on it, and it would still be less expensive than some other ES-135's. And better. =)

I'd thought about a Bigsby with it, and that would be a good idea if you're into your wobble sticks. And, if it was an 'only' guitar, I reckon it would be perfect. In moments of rare lucidity, I've thought that of course.

Surprised that the Fano hasn't sold. That's mad.
    Call me Dave.
  • Christ, @DB1. Why do you do this to me…
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    It's partly your fault for being a creature of good taste. =)
    Call me Dave.
  • I’m not really into jazz/blues type guitars but that is stunning! Is there much fret wear? Marty
    I bet there are YouTube videos of people playing one properly, not just dabbling in the old stuff that I play.  But for that old  stuff, it's ace.

The frets look and feel nice and healthy - no discernible fretwear (to me, anyway) and certainly nothing that impedes playing.
    Call me Dave.
    In fact, it's such a nice guitar, having played it again, that I'm going to withdraw it from sale and even contemplate the Bigsby option. It's currently over £400 cheaper than the lowest-priced that I can see available at the moment, so it will still be a bit of a bargain even if I do that. Thanks @merlin for the suggestion. =)
    Call me Dave.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6884
    DB1 said:
    Thanks @merlin for the suggestion. =)
    My pleasure. Dibs when you decide it's simply not for you.....
    Of course. I'll call you in an hour. ;)
    Call me Dave.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7249
    Damn, I've been looking for a 135 for ages. Keep missing them though. 
    edited April 2022
    There are a few knocking about on Reverb, but £1623 is the lowest price I can find in the UK, going up towards the £2400 mark, which seems a bit optimistic.....

Edit: An opportunity came up to sell it off forum, so it's gorn.
    Call me Dave.
    edited June 2022
    It's back! I took it back as part of a trade, and was happy to do so because it's a lovely guitar. I'm asking a little bit more money this time, as it's cost me a bit in time and travel, you know, with diesel being about £1,000 a gallon.

Also, there was a little bit of crackly stuff from the pots which I couldn't quite get rid of, and that's been done. The neck pickup (which is gorgeous) I think is a BK Half Note, according to the output reading. The bridge pickup is hotter, which is reasonable if you like that sort of thing, but it's a lovelyauthentic jazz/blues sound in the neck. The neck itself is beautiful and the fretboard is so smooth and fast that it plays like - no, I can't say it, so  I'd butter not talk any more about that.

Anyway, it's £1299 (as opposed to £1199 before) which still makes it about £400 less expensive than others that I can see on Reverb and eBay. It will be going onto those esteemed selling resources at a couple of hundred quid more than on here, so that they can come at me, slack-jawed and dribbling, with their vulgar talk of discounts.

Also, that includes me dropping it off, or meeting, up to about 100 miles. Any further, I'm happy to fire up the Quattro, and we can talk about that, but it might cost you a couple of quid and a manly hug.

If you're happy to come to Stafford ('m not, but I have to - I live here) then I can take £50 off, and that's something of a bargain, as I usually charge £50 if you want to leave - more if the air's getting stuffy in the dungeon.

Call me Dave.
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1117
    If I bought this …

Had it sprayed gold, put a Bigsby, new knobs and a ES295 picks guard and cream pup covers on it 

Do you think it would take away my 295 itch
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2022
    Yes sir, I guarantee it. Send much money now please.  o
    Call me Dave.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2022
    Bumpity-bump.
    Call me Dave.