SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

TRADED - Tokai ES120 for Greco SA550 or Archtop or acoustic (?)

What's Hot
ReflexReflex Frets: 62
edited June 2022 in Guitars £
TRADED

I’m the current custodian of one of the TFB favourites - 2003 Tokai UES120.  It’s in very good condition, no major dings.  I’ve found it to be light and resonate.  The neck is a lovely chunky gentle V (I’m not normally into larger necks but I can get along with this).  It’s been professionally set up in its recent history including CTS volume and tone pot upgrades. It’s also been fitted with OX4 Humbuckers.  Comes with original case. 

As much as it’s a corker and comes very close to scratching the semi-acoustic itch, I still find myself hankering after the slimmer necked and fully hollow Greco SA550.  As such, not selling, but opening it up for trades for said Greco (or maybe similar ES330 type) or an American or MIJ made archtop 

Any questions let me know

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ReflexReflex Frets: 62
    Maybe a bit of long shot :)
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7465
    I remember that Tokay well, it's a lovely sounding (and playing) guitar... very 'woody' for want of a better word
    edited April 2022
    I remember that Tokay well, it's a lovely sounding (and playing) guitar... very 'woody' for want of a better word
    Cheers Con

I think the OX4’s help massively, very clear, airy and articulate.  It’s much lighter than a Gibson (at least compared to the early 90’s one I owned way back) and is very resonate and louder than I’d have thought acoustically.  I think ‘woody’ is a good description.

It would be a keeper but my hand cramps a little after playing for a long time.  Maybe the answer is just to play it for shorter periods  s

• DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7465
    Reflex said:
    I remember that Tokay well, it's a lovely sounding (and playing) guitar... very 'woody' for want of a better word.

It would be a keeper but my hand cramps a little after playing for a long time.  Maybe the answer is just to play it for shorter periods  s

Join a punk band - 2 minute song followed by a break while you wipe the gob off your amp . Problem solved 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Reflex said:
    I remember that Tokay well, it's a lovely sounding (and playing) guitar... very 'woody' for want of a better word.

Join a punk band - 2 minute song followed by a break while you wipe the gob off your amp . Problem solved 
    Gob on my amp!  Good grief, I think I’ll stick to a camped hand and polite jazz thanks Con
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4245
    That’s just soooo tempting, lightweight 335, what’s not to love 
    sweepy said:
    That’s just soooo tempting, lightweight 335, what’s not to love 
    I guess in my case the neck!  Other than that though... nowt :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4245
    I keep looking at 335’s, it’s a disease ;)
    Thanks for all the interest, however the Greco still remains elusive...
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16413
    I have it's twin brother ........same year,same quilting etc etc 
    It's a superb guitar ..........got a set of Wizz Custom PAFS in mine .........I bet they sound very similar.
    Have played numerous Gibsons and it's a nicer guitar than any of those that I have played.
    Dominic said:
    I have it's twin brother ........same year,same quilting etc etc 
    It's a superb guitar ..........got a set of Wizz Custom PAFS in mine .........I bet they sound very similar.
    Have played numerous Gibsons and it's a nicer guitar than any of those that I have played.
    Pop a picture up @Dominic, it would be nice to see it :)

From what I’ve read the pickups (and maybe the pots) are it’s supposed weak point?  Otherwise it’s my favourite 335 to date, having had a 90’s Gibson and an 80’s Yamaha SA2000.  
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16413
    I think it's very hard to beat an 80s Yamaha SA2000
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 915
    As a Greco SA550 owner, I know why you are searching for one of these amazing guitars. Nothing sounds quite like it. I imported mine from Japan. 

Good luck with the searching. 
    Trading feedback - https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/228538/neilybob

flanging_fed “
    A Les Paul, @ThorpyFX ;;Veteran and the 4010 is awesome at volume, it’s like playing Thor’s hammer!” Ref Marshall JCM800 4010 combo 
    Dominic said:
    Its just the weight for me, I seem to remember the Yamaha being quite heavy, amazing guitar though.

Thanks @neilybob.  I’ve thought about importing in the past but always shied away from doing it for one reason or another 
    Reflex said:
    Dominic said:
    Its just the weight for me, I seem to remember the Yamaha being quite heavy, amazing guitar though.

Thanks @neilybob.  I’ve thought about importing in the past but always shied away from doing it for one reason or another 
    If you need to drool check out my post in this thread halfway down. 

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/2835/old-japanese-guitars-appreciation-thread/p12

flanging_fed “
    A Les Paul, @ThorpyFX ;;Veteran and the 4010 is awesome at volume, it’s like playing Thor’s hammer!” Ref Marshall JCM800 4010 combo 
    Neilybob said:
    Reflex said:
    Dominic said:

If you need to drool check out my post in this thread halfway down. 

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/2835/old-japanese-guitars-appreciation-thread/p12
    That SA700 is amazing!  Let me know if you ever think of moving it on  ;)
  • dombennisondombennison Frets: 128
    Would you definitely not sell for cash? If you change your mind, do let me know!
    Would you definitely not sell for cash? If you change your mind, do let me know!
    Thanks for the offer @dombennison, but only looking at trades for a Greco or similar 80’s Japanese 330 guitar
    Opening this up for American or Japanese made Archtops (happy to add to the deal for the right guitar)
    Reflex said:
    Opening this up for American or Japanese made Archtops (happy to add to the deal for the right guitar)
    Have you seen the Yamaha at Badland guitars? Might be worth checking out

flanging_fed “