Jimi: All is by my side

What's Hot
SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399

That Andre fella from Outkast is playing Hendrix in this biopic out next month.

I just read that the film makers didn't have the rights to any of Hendrix's music so used a bunch of other hits from the period.

Not sure how well this is going to work??

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Is that the one that his old girlfriend tried to stop because it shows Jimi being abusive, which she says never actually happened?
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    He played a lot of blues and covers so it could work. I suspect it'll be more about him than the music anyway. There was a clip doing the rounds a while back and that Andre bloke looked and sounded really close.
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399

Apparently it's an "Oblique portrait"

Which I gues can be translated as it's very sparing with any actual facts.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12514
    I take it this is Janie Hendrix, Jimi's sister-who-actually-had-nothing-to-do-with-him-and-is-just-in-it-for-the-money, sticking her oar in and preventing the makers from using his music?
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    half sister who met Hendrix twice.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24866
    Who did the Gibson 'Strat' signature deal?

Nice....
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    Who did the Gibson 'Strat' signature deal?

Nice....
    I'd never known about this until now.

Just plain....well, yeah....
  • So has anyone seen this yet?

It was on at our local Arts Centre last weekend, but we missed it :-(
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16967
    I saw it. Terrible and boring.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    It was really really bad.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Shame to hear it was bad

I get the feeling it was hampered my money and rights etc... 
    edited November 2014
    I'll wait till it's on the telly then.

I had high hopes for this as I'm sure any official "experience hendrix" version would no doubt re-write it to have a happy family home and his loving sister playing a large part....like that docu a while back. 

Although I gather that this film played it a bit fast and loose with the truth in places (if we actually know the truth of course).

• Daughter is a big Hendrix fan and she hated it...
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2916
    Annoying woman. That gibson strat was just the biggest joke ever hurled upon the guitar world.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23674
    edited November 2014

I remember the stick Alan Douglas used to get for curating the Hendrix estate and releasing all those cut-and-paste albums like War Heroes and Crash Landing. 

Then Janie Hendrix came along and it was all portrayed as "great news, the legacy is back with the Hendrix family".... but they've exploited it even more mercilessly.

• Philly_Q said:

I remember the stick Alan Douglas used to get for curating the Hendrix estate and releasing all those cut-and-paste albums like War Heroes and Crash Landing. 

Then Janie Hendrix came along and it was all portrayed as "great news, the legacy is back with the Hendrix family".... but they've exploited it even more mercilessly.

To be fair the EH re-releases have been pretty good. Certainly better than things like Voodoo Soup with all those overdubs
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23674

True, but they pissed me off straight away by tampering with things, like changing the cover of Electric Ladyland.  I know they said oh, Jimi never wanted those naked women on the cover.... but that was the cover, like it or not.

Then they put out things like South Saturn Delta and First Rays of the New Rising Sun which really have no more legitimacy as "real" Hendrix albums than Rainbow Bridge or The Cry of Love.  What the hell does Janie know about "what Jimi would have wanted", really?

• indeed, I turned the sleeve around in my copy of EL as it had the proper artwork on the other side of the booklet.
    edited November 2014
    indeed, I turned the sleeve around in my copy of EL as it had the proper artwork on the other side of the booklet.

...actually I might be thinking about the previous re-issues that had a processed colour pic of jimi on each of the three experience albums. That was before the EH time. http://jamesostafford.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/hendric-electric-ladyland-93-cd.jpg
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited November 2014

It will most probably be as realistic as the Def Leppard film.  Which shows Phil Collen playing really well in his former Glam band....

and when, after they have taken him on board, Steve Clark walking out on a rehearsal because he is intimidated by Collen's technical prowess...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En-n3-NNyF0

Backdoor Children Of The Sock