Jimi: All is by my side

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Sambostar said:
    It will most probably be as realistic as the Def Leppard film.  Which shows Phil Collen playing really well in his former Glam band....

I watched that the other day (see the def Leppard thread) some hilarious bits, including grey hound buses going down the streets in Sheffield, and a sigh post for the M25 on the snake pass....not to mention the awfull fake playing. Still that was a pretty low budget made for TV film.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    WezV said:
    I saw it. Terrible and boring.
    Bit like the original records then :)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23615
    indeed, I turned the sleeve around in my copy of EL as it had the proper artwork on the other side of the booklet.

...actually I might be thinking about the previous re-issues that had a processed colour pic of jimi on each of the three experience albums. That was before the EH time. 
    Yeah, I think that's the 1993(?) version.

I have the 1997 EH version with Hendrix's face on the front of the booklet - it might be the original US cover?  The back has a Linda McCartney photo of the Experience playing with some little kids around a statue in Central Park.

• Educate me Philly , why Cry of Love. I actually like that album...
    Is there something I don't know about it ?....
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16959
    Lixarto said:
    WezV said:
    I saw it. Terrible and boring.
    Bit like the original records then :)
    I would say "you do better" fully knowing that the correct response to that would be to request that I make a better film than all is by my side.

but I think I actually could make a better film.

In fairness I though Andre 3000 was a good fit.   He would have been a better fit when he was first linked with a potential Jimi project - about 10 years ago when he was much closer to the correct age. 

I was really disappointed by the gear inaccuracies too, although less than the pointlessness of the whole film.  They haven't just not got the music rights, clearly they can't show him playing a fender either.   baffling

Educate me Philly , why Cry of Love. I actually like that album...
    Is there something I don't know about it ?....
    Shouldn't think so, I like it too.

It was, I think, the first posthumous attempt to construct the album Hendrix was supposedly working on before he died.  I was just saying that the Experience Hendrix album "First Rays of the New Rising Sun", which also purports to be the next album he was going to release, doesn't seem any more legit to me than "Cry of Love" (or "Rainbow Bridge").

Basically I'm just griping about Experience Hendrix's "it's what Jimi would have wanted" stance.

• Worse than that the Experience Hendrix estate have recently re-released Cry of Love!
    WezV said:
    I was really disappointed by the gear inaccuracies too, although less than the pointlessness of the whole film.  They haven't just not got the music rights, clearly they can't show him playing a fender either.   baffling

That made me think of The Buddy Holly Story, where Gary Busey spends much of the (really quite good) film playing a '70s Telecaster.

Worse than that the Experience Hendrix estate have recently re-released Cry of Love!
    I knew it was out but didn't realise it was EH - I suppose it had to be!

• Rainbow Bridge as well.
    Yeah, I'll probably buy them too.  Haven't heard them for many years.
    edited November 2014
    Following this discussion, I was up very late last night listening to Hendrix for the first time in many years.  So, late for work this morning, but what the hell.  I'm glad the topic came up.