Amp to replace my Bogner Shiva - Help...

welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1836
edited August 2014 in Amps
OK,

Time has come (well, recurring bad back) to reluctantly replace the Shiva, the amount of gigging I am doing at the moment means I'm lugging this heavy beast at least 3 times a week up and down stairs, through pub bar areas etc etc and for the 2nd time in a few months I've pulled my back out.

So the time has come to get something a little lighter and the Shiva will be a very very hard act to follow, it does everything I want it to do and more, I'm going to try and keep the Shiva so don't want to split it into head and cab type of thing..so just looking for a good solid reliable gigging valve amp with enough poke to hold its own in an un-mic'd backline environment.

To give you an idea, here are a few ideas that I have had as replacements:

1. Fender Deluxe Reverb RI/68 custom - probably the amp I "want" but have concerns about fx loop (or lack of it) for delays/mod effects, 22 watts should be plenty and understand it will need to mic'd for most applications.

2. Fender Blues Deluxe - probably the workhorse option, never played one, had a Deville a long time ago but didnt last long...40 watts should be plenty

3. Fender SuperSonic 22 or maybe 60 - I think of this as as Deluxe Rev on Steroids, not sure on which one though 22 or 60....

4. Fender Hot Rod Deluxe....

So, there's my thoughts, what do you guys think or can any of you recommend anything else or decent curveball options...just keep the weight/size thing in mind...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1292
    edited August 2014
    As a fellow lumbar-challenged muso, I sympathise with you.

I've not seen these for sale anywhere yet but they seem like manna-from-heaven for the ageing rocker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsDZbSKfYGI

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3308
    Do you not find having a head and cab is easier on the back than a combo?

I certainly do although two trips to the stage is a little annoying.
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 888
    I'd look at changing it for a head and cab, or a decent trolley for it. Heavier amps generally are the better sounding ones unfortunately.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • Jmp-1 rack ?
    Get the Marshall 20w power amp..plenty loud enough mate.
    I go direct but you're welcome to borrow mine to try as I'm not using it at the mo.
  • fastboyfastboy Frets: 166
    The Shiva specific open back 2x12 cab sounds excellent and isn't very heavy if you go down the head and cab route or Bogner do a few 1x12 cabs as well.

The cheaper option would be to get a headshell made for the amp part of your Shiva combo and retain the combo which will now be much lighter and use it as a cab