which would you rather have for your OD pedals

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16083
a lovely clean fender/boogie clean sound or a cooking but "clean" Marshally sound as a PLATFORM for your OD pedals?
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17941
    tFB Trader
    I much prefer Fender cleans, but Marshalls tend to make a better platform for drive pedals.
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16083
    ^ exactly.......means a compromise or TWO amps :)
    tae be or not tae be
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10617

I would choose the Marshall but wouldn't bother with any pedals :)
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3356
    Fender every time for me.

Whilst recently auditioning a low gain pedal at a shop along with my own board, I was amazed how good my Fulltone OCD and Keeley 808 sounded through a Fender DRRI! Also, when playing through Fender backline in the past, Twin or Super Reverb, I've experienced more or less the same, but never with a Marshall.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    Kebabkid said:
    Fender every time for me.

Same for me. 

I also think there is a reason that every PSG pedal demo is played through a Fender
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11545
    You can get reasonably close to Marshall sounds through a Fender with the right pedal.  You can't get Fender cleans from a Marshall.

This is why Kemper / Axe FX is the future.  You can get both out of one box.

Hopefully decent quality modelling will start to get cheaper in the near future.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    Fender with a Marshall extension cab would be the ideal.
  • citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    Ceriatone OTS HRM - Fender cleans & Marshally grind (if you want it) - clean channel takes any drive pedal rather nicely
    Seemed like a good idea.....

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4316

crunchman said:
    You can get reasonably close to Marshall sounds through a Fender with the right pedal.  You can't get Fender cleans from a Marshall.

Correct, though your solution requires both the Kemper and Axe to improve their clean emulations somewhat to get close to a good Fender clean.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11545
    I was pleasantly surprised when I borrowed a Kemper for a weekend.  It's usable.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73155
    Marshall/Mesa type. But I prefer them for cleans anyway.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Marshall any day. I love Fender cleans, but I love the warmer, fatter clean tones you can get through a Marshall even more. 

Like Danny1969 I'd be tempted not to have any pedals, but my Super Overdrive or Bad Monkey into a driven Marshall does work wonders too. 
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Marshall dirt works for me too.

I does like a dirty pedal into a Marshall clean for a different dirt sound too.

Depends on what I'm looking for.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Fender and a pedal.... or several different pedals - gives me all I want