Kirk Hammett - Portals

What's Hot
BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5214
Released today, and pretty good on first listen. Very cinematic/moody as he suggested it would be, pretty impressed Kirky Poo.

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25111
    There's no singing on it is there?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5214
    Philly_Q said:
    There's no singing on it is there?
    No Cookie monster mate ;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Only heard one song, and I thought there was a very heavy influence of their Morricone intro music (The Good, The Bad and the Ugly?)

Not my bag but good on him for branching out, and good on Hetfield and Ulrich for not stopping him (see also: Jason Newsted)

edited April 2022
    Lars never had any problems with Jason's Echobrain project, it was a pre rehab James. Now he's sorted his shit out he probably would've been alright with it. There's a whole lot of time and learning between the two things, one day people might move on from the poor woe Jason bollox. Who, it should be said, left the band of his own volition at the end of the day. He was the right guy at the time and the wrong guy in the end, he was also my guy as he was in the slot when I became a fan. Metallica live are a sightly different proposition now, Jason was such a connection, the fan who made it.

Now can we talk about Kirk and the EP please.

Yeah there's a load of influence from soundtracks and he's used the S and M guy to help and it shows. It's pretty cool tbh, if you take it for what it's meant to be, it's Kirks best guitar work for a while.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25111
    Just having my first listen.  It is very cinematic!  Especially High Plains Drifter, with that title giving a direct Clint Eastwood link (...although the film itself wasn't a spaghetti western and didn't have an Ennio Morricone soundtrack).

In a rock music sense, I can't think of anything else that really resembles it.  Good on him for doing something like this and not a shred guitar album (although he'd have been ripped to, errrr, shreds if he had done that).

Not sure it's something I'd have listened to if it had been made by someone else, but I quite like it.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1065
    Look forward to listening to this, especially after posting a link which basically criticised his guitar playing/work ethic a few months ago.

Heres the Spotify link if anyone fancies listening: https://open.spotify.com/album/0Fd2QUbcP7l1u9a4axlrLE?si=09u1ABghRwqTwZ7mzAWuWw

@Boromedic
    What did the S+M guy contribute?
    @duotone, I believe Edwin Outwater was co-writer/arranger on most of it, not sure who the other musicians are as yet. Trying to find out!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom