Opening up humbucker hole on HSS pickguard

CanoCano Frets: 21
edited April 2022 in Making & Modding
I've got a Jet JS400 HSS Strat style which I want to replace the Humbucker with a Humbucker sized P90.

The original pickup is an uncovered humbucker, the P90 is a covered pickup and has squarer corners. 

What's the best way to open up those corners on the pickguard?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CanoCano Frets: 21
    edited April 2022
    Deleted double post
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74475
    A round file, preferably with the same radius as the corners of the humbucker cover.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    A round file, preferably with the same radius as the corners of the humbucker cover.
    I'll leave the dremel well alone then. Thanks
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3221
    Mark it out better than the photo with masking tape and use a round file to sneak upon the correct shape, just support it well while filing else it will flap about a bit.
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15262
    The original aperture was cut using a round bit. A round file leaves a plausible result. Flat files can leave tell-tale edges that look amateurish and wrong. 

Take it gently. You can always remove more material. You can't put it back.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Thanks, I've got a small round file ready and will remask and remark. 
  • FlipFlip Frets: 68
    Agreed, especially about the Dremel - power tools have their place but can often be the fastest way to make a mess of a project.
    All done now. I just used a round file, then round needle files to remove the final bits of material stopping the pickup from fitting. The new pickup is in and sounding good.

I put a set of locking tuners from Axetec on at the same time as I hated the original machine heads and strings were already off. They held tune but were horribly stiff to use and the buttons were too small for me to turn comfortable or accurately.