Anyone know the current Matamp prices?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• LewLew Frets: 1657
    Interesting. I'm watching eBay as a GT1 or GT40 is on my want list but the new prices aren't too steep.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Lew...yeah new prices are ok and the added benefit of going to the factory and having the amp built for you I think makes up for the difference in price!
  • When I bought mine 10 years ago ish it was about £980 I think, so the prices have not gone up much to be fair.
    Old Is Gold
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3531
    edited September 2014
    Antique_Guitars;341539" said:
    Aye Mr Green built it and then later had to rebuild it, adding in the things he forgot to put in the first time like the grounding plate............ Etc etc but that is another story.
    Sounds familiar :)

I've had 7 or 8 Matamps but gave them up during that particular era. Tempted to give them a bash again now.
  • Antique_GuitarsAntique_Guitars Frets: 1167
    edited September 2014
    Yes the 'flux' Matamp years as I like to call them. Everything all good and safe now though, Mr Matamp London sorted it for me years ago then it had some mods from my tech too.
    Old Is Gold
  • With a bit of luck the horrendous active EQ they introduced around then has also been consigned to the dustbin of history. I recall with a shudder the king street combo I got with no means of getting any treble from it at all. Actually that was another one I think required remedial work.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It's not active, not really, more modified HiWatt if anything it was in most stuff from the late 90s. But it is odd and takes some getting used to. If you tried one without a presence control you'd have struggled. Some amps still have it but I've been designing it out wherever possible.

Personally I didn't really like the King Street, Dave had a thing for dark amps - or ones that took your head off! The 1224 and GT1 were the best. Dave was great but every amp was different, often due to customer requests but sometimes not. The other thing is every builder has his own way of doing things so you can spot a Dave amp, a Martin (MJW now) amp, Howard or Andrew amp pretty easily. Things are on an even keel now with myself Jeff and Derek (Derek even worked for Mat during the 60s and 70s). We've got different procedures in place now to try and make sure everything is 100%, basically I try and kill the amp for a few hours!

@Antique_Guitars that's John! Gandalf as we often referred to him. He passed away last year sadly.

• @van_hayden really sorry to hear that he was a lovely chap.
    Old Is Gold