SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

PSA 1964 Gretsch double Annie on gumtree £1500

What's Hot
DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7466
edited May 2022 in Guitars £
https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/1964-vintage-gretsch-6118-double-anniversary-guitar-collection-only/1431850276?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=sms

I don’t know a great deal about vintage Gretsch  but this looks pretty sweet . A mate of mine just sent me the link but I’ve spent too much recently  so can’t go near it
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1223
    Too far away from me. It's got to be worth double that at least. Catch?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KDSKDS Frets: 239
    that is not going to hang around long..... wish it was closer :(

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Less than an hour away from me... but I know nothing about these. 
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5266
    Go on Con....you know you want it......resistance is useless  :3
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7466
    tone1 said:
    Go on Con....you know you want it......resistance is useless  :3
    Just when I thought I was out …..:
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2322
    I messaged the chap, but no reply forthcoming 
    Fishboy7 said:
    I messaged the chap, but no reply forthcoming 
    Best of luck - save me from myself 
  • KDSKDS Frets: 239
    why no serial number? But good luck if someone on here gets it and it is legit
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2322
    KDS said:
    why no serial number? But good luck if someone on here gets it and it is legit
    good point, .. how the hell do you lose the label from inside the actual guitar ?
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6884
    FFS. I just did a little wee in my pants.

Poole. Dorset....far enough and thank f**k I have a really insane weekend and week ahead otherwise I'd be there, cash in hand. 
  • surfguy13surfguy13 Frets: 133
    It looks lovely but.......it has crumbling binding and that can be a nightmare depending on the extent to which it has deteriorated.  Incredibly difficult to repair and I think this is probably why it is as cheap as it is.  
    surfguy13 said:
    It looks lovely but.......it has crumbling binding and that can be a nightmare depending on the extent to which it has deteriorated.  Incredibly difficult to repair and I think this is probably why it is as cheap as it is.  
    I’ve messaged the guy who works on my guitars to see if it’s something he could help with as from looking at the US Gretsch forums the consensus is anywhere between 500-1000 dollars to replace the binding .  That sounds bananas but apparently it’s not the difficulty , just the time it takes 
    Right on cue , I just had an email back from Angela at guitar angel in the Forest of Dean . I haven’t used them before but heard very good things so wanted to see if it’s work that they could do.  They can (and sounded very competent) and quoted a ballpark £600 which is exactly in line with the US Gretsch sites view.

if I had the money to get the guitar and the work done  I’d jump on it tbh , I just don’t !
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8335
    If it’s not had a neck reset, then there a neck off repair could be in its future.  A high percentage of Gretsches from this era have had to have a neck reset. If you are interested, do factor that into the cost, do a thorough neck inspection. 

Is a good opportunity to own an old Gretsch, but could be a bit of a money pit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10922
    Peanuts compared to the big two
  • surfguy13surfguy13 Frets: 133
    surfguy13 said:
    I’ve messaged the guy who works on my guitars to see if it’s something he could help with as from looking at the US Gretsch forums the consensus is anywhere between 500-1000 dollars to replace the binding .  That sounds bananas but apparently it’s not the difficulty , just the time it takes 
    I first came in to contact with crumbling binding on an old Gretsch I bought many years ago.  At the time, I couldn't find anyone who would even consider repairing it.  It's not like replacing the binding on a neck, which I had done on a 60s 330, there are no straight lines on the body!

I then went to look at an old 60s Gretsch that was for sale privately, again a long time ago.  The guy had painstakingly repaired about 80% of the binding and although he had done a great job, it still looked like repaired binding!  As @DrCornelius says, it's not that it's necessarily a difficult job, it is just fiddly and extremely time consuming.

I just wouldn't buy an old Gretsch again unless the binding was 110% ......