Fender Special Strat neck – one or two pin tuners? Locking tuner suggestions

What's Hot
citesquestioncitesquestion Frets: 35
edited May 2022 in Making & Modding
Stupid question but I was always under the impression that Fender tuners have a single pin attachment. Was looking for some replacement locking tuners and didn't really want to drill new holes which limited the choice to some Fender single pin tuners and Hipshots which have that universal mounting plates.

However, a last minute google search seems to show that the Fender Special Strat (2009/2010) came with two pin tuners and so do many of the modern Fenders. Anyone with any practical experience could confirm? "Unscrew and check" is the right answer but the guitar is currently with my friend.

More generally, what are your favourite 6 in line locking tuners? Nothing too fancy, just for somewhat easier string change and hopefully better stability with the tremolo (I think this is contested?)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 769
    Mexican and US Fenders with modern style tuners are two pin mount, and have been for aeons. In fact, I can't definitely think of any with single pin mount, except perhaps for the early Strat Plus/Plus Deluxe/Ultras, assuming they came with Sperzels? I'm pretty certain my 89 US Std had the none locking two pin Schallers (made by Ping Well on more modern Fenders)

Anyway, I have a couple of Am Specials and Highway 1''s and they are definitely two pin mount. I've got the Fender locking tuners on mine (made by Ping Well as noted above - Schaller haven't made the Fender branded ones for well over a decade). Fitting them was easy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74475
    edited May 2022
    What CasperCaster said - they’re all 2-pin apart from the rare ones with factory-fitted Sperzels, as far as I know.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 9013
    edited May 2022
    Could it be that you were visualising the Fender "American Standard" barrel type string tree that has one locating pin on its base?

I'm probably not the best one to make suggestions about locking tuners because I buy budget no-brand ones that i know to be of quite decent quality for the money from a retailer that generally doesn't sell cheap crap.
    I've never had any issues with them, however I would no take non-locking tuners of good quality off a proper USA Strat and put those locking tuners on.  I would look for better quality ones.
  • Thanks all. I think I got confused by one of manufacturers having a special "Fender" set with one pin.

@BBillDL said:
    I'm probably not the best one to make suggestions about locking tuners because I buy budget no-brand ones that i know to be of quite decent quality for the money from a retailer that generally doesn't sell cheap crap.
    I've never had any issues with them, however I would no take non-locking tuners of good quality off a proper USA Strat and put those locking tuners on.  I would look for better quality ones.
    I'm actually quite tempted by the cheap ones from Guyker/Musiclily but might just buy something "proper". Always thought Sperzel were top but seems like some people say are a bit meh
  • CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 769
    You can regularly get the Fender ones for.about £55 delivered for a set on eBay, - either the 3xtall + 3x short set, or the all short set. Second hand sets should obviously be even less. Personally, I wouldn't mess about drilling new holes and potentially screwing something up devaluing a nice neck/instrument 
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 9013
    I always thought of Grover as being at the pinnacle, but I have to say that I am a bit underwhelmed by them on two of my guitars where they are really no better than the average quality no-brand tuners I removed to put them on.  I think Gotoh are every bit as good as Grovers now.  I still like Schaller, but they are pretty pricey, and even they aren't as well finished as they used to be when Fender first started fitting them to their Japanese made guitars back in the mid 80s.

I definitely like the tuners that lock with a knurled wheel on the back and the pin that goes up through the shaft to secure the string rather than any that you need to unscrew smaller easily lost parts or use tools.
  • Thank you all! Any opinion on the Hipshot stuff? Only tried their headless hardware which was very nice but hard to compare 
  • downbytheriverdownbytheriver Frets: 1089
    Everything I’ve had from from Hipshot over the years (bender, tremsetter, d-tuner etc) has always been of exemplary quality