Sporkaster Infinity

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• GuitarAndy2GuitarAndy2 Frets: 23
    Sporky said:
    It connects to the Sustainiac board and some other places.

I have a history of over-complex wiring (and working it out on bits of paper I don't keep). It's not in a guitar so no easy way to find out - I need to trace the whole wiring setup to work it out... 

Remember picking your brains about a few wiring ideas back in the day, so this approach sounds very on brand/familiar. Think the only idea I ended up actually getting as far as using, was an extra mini switch for adding the 4th p/up on my Charvel. Even then, I initially added it in series and by the time I realised parallel made more sense tonally the DM chain from the old forum with your instructions was no more. :#
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30208
    I figured out a method for figuring out switch wiring that seemed to work really well, right up to one of those 24-contact blade switches plus push pots and stuff. Let's hope I can remember it - one of the key Sustainiac things is that when it's on the bridge pickup - and nothing else - must be automatically on.

Tempting for this to have just a three-way toggle - neck series, outer coils parallel, bridge series maybe. There's a Dimarzio 4-pole toggle I used for SP2 that worked nicely with the Sustainiac. Otherwise it's a rotary, which I don't like as much from an interface perspective, or a 5-way blade and the need to work out what combinations I want, can have, and work with the Sustainiac. 

Next step is to CAD this properly and look at pickup combinations and how they look. I really wish someone made a good-looking single-coil-sized bucker . 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28098
    edited May 2022
    Sporky said:
    I figured out a method for figuring out switch wiring that seemed to work really well, right up to one of those 24-contact blade switches plus push pots and stuff. Let's hope I can remember it - one of the key Sustainiac things is that when it's on the bridge pickup - and nothing else - must be automatically on.

Tempting for this to have just a three-way toggle - neck series, outer coils parallel, bridge series maybe. There's a Dimarzio 4-pole toggle I used for SP2 that worked nicely with the Sustainiac. Otherwise it's a rotary, which I don't like as much from an interface perspective, or a 5-way blade and the need to work out what combinations I want, can have, and work with the Sustainiac. 

Next step is to CAD this properly and look at pickup combinations and how they look. I really wish someone made a good-looking single-coil-sized bucker . 
    Radical solution for simplified wiring - use an Arduino Nano. You can get the power draw down to 1mA at 3.3V if you're careful.

That way, you don't actually have to worry about getting the switching options just right - you can just make as many presets as you have switch positions, and change them as you go (doesn't even need to be a user interface if you don't want to do this frequently, you can do it with a firmware update).
    <space for hire>