Multiple-monitor management software

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Dell Ultrasharp U2412M for instance?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jalapeno said:

Of course, as noted, this relies on Wayland/Mir getting their shit sorted when it comes to big multi-monitor setups.
    Given the pitiful history of X-Windows I wouldn't hold your breath - I remember Motif vs so called "Openwindows" wars back in the 1990s !!!!
    Despite what the Wayland guys (who are moving at a glacial pace) are saying, Canonical's Mir developers do seem to be very focused. They've apparently got multi-monitor working already, although I'm not sure how it behaves with multiple graphics cards and > 2 outputs. I had a go at it last night using a live beta of the next Ubuntu, but it was just a daily build and very unstable.

Myranda said:
    Dell Ultrasharp U2412M for instance?
    Yup - Iiyama have some nice ones too. Good to see at least a couple of them are keeping decent 16:10 resolutions alive.
    <space for hire>
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29048
    I really liked the 23.something monitors that Samsung and Dell did for a while that are 2048x1152. That's usefully more than full HD, without a huge panel. I don't really get the 27 and bigger monitors that are only 1920x1080, but then where my PC I'm fairly close to the screens - even the 27 is a little on the big side.

@fretmeister - the trick is to have a multi-monitor mount of some sort and get them either off the desk or onto a single smallish pole mount - I have one of these (not quite long enough arms for the setup I have so I'm making some offset plates):

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121125226864
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • That might be worth looking at.

I have a single 22 inch at the moment and I usually need 2 things visible at once - usually Excel and Word. Giving each half the screen is a bit small, especially when I need to keep track of maths!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29048
    Having two monitors is, in my experience, a huge step up from a single monitor for most applications.

Having three is less of a step up but still worth it (particularly with CAD and graphics stuff where you need to have separate reference material open).

I've got a surplus 19" 4:3 if you want it...
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Very kind of you but my current PC won't support 2 monitors.

I'll have to look at that first!