Awesome Singy Songs?

What's Hot
monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17919
in Music tFB Trader
I'm having singing lessons at the moment and I need some song suggestions to learn. 

I have quite a high range and I can do rock type vocals. 

So far I've done:
Coldplay - Yellow, Scientist
Muse - Starlight, Unintended
Foo Fighters - One of these days
GnR - SCOM
Whitesnake - Here I Go 

Thinking of some other challenging songs to do in my lesson. Maybe some Zep or if I was feeling brave perhaps even a Maiden track.

What should I learn?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bigjonbigjon Frets: 681
    Fleetwood Mac - Man Of The World
  • vizviz Frets: 10778
    edited September 2014
    Obviously Voices by Dream Theater. Check out the word 'stay' at 7:10. In fact check out the whole of that middle section from 5:00 - the tension and build are incredible. In fact check out the whole song. The whole album. The whole back catalogue. The whole prog rock genre. The whole ... you get my drift.

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Maiden Hallowed be thy name

Or some Queensryche

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• A few less obvious ones I've been listening to lately...

Inside The Machine by Bruce Dickinson (from Skunkworks)
    Omega by Bruce Dickinson (from Accident of Birth)
    Broken by Seether (helps if you have a girl handy to do the Amy Lee bits, of course)
    Eyes of a Stranger by Queensryche
    Queen of the Reich by Queensryche (if you really want to test that "high" statement...)

<space for hire>
  • Are you going to post clips? 

If you want to test high try some Circa Survive.  Awesome guitar work too.

Or Coheed and Cambria.  Best ever voice to image mismatch.

For Queensryche just buy Operation Mindcrime (first one) and pick your favourite.  That album has some of my favourite metal vocal performances ever.  Classic album.

• A chap I know is in the process of qualifying to become a certified vocal teacher, and he posted several videos of work he'd done as part of his course, of which All Night Long by Rainbow sticks in my head as being the most "gymnastic", vocally speaking.

I suspect there's quite a few similar tracks from Rainbow and their related bands (Dio/ Deep Purple etc)

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1492
    More Than a Feeling or Piece of Mind by Boston.

Anything of "In Progress" by Work of Art. 
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1492
    Since You've Been Gone by Rainbow is fucking ridiculous also. 
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2450
    edited September 2014
    Night Games - Graham Bonnet

What a tune!

Others: 

I Remember You - Skid Row
    Living Bad Dreams - Judas Priest
    Muddy Waters - Free
    Infinite Dreams - Iron Maiden

edited September 2014

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17919
    edited September 2014 tFB Trader
    Cheers chaps 

Some good suggestions there. 

I should add when I say "high" I mean that my natural range is quite high for an untrained singer. I can't get to notes that real rock virtuoso singers can get to. 

A good example is that I'm learning "Here I go again" and I can sing all of it fairly easily except the final really high "Here I gooo" where he jumps up an octave which is higher than I can currently reach.

To my shame I've never really listened to any Queensryche so I'll probably give that a miss as technical songs are only feasible if you know them really well.

My fav Maiden album is predictably number of the beast so something of there would be awesome.

Children of the Damned then.

Quite an easy guitar part behind the vocals too. Maybe, if you're feeling brave try both together?

Maybe Skid Row 18 & life or Pink Floyd Comfortably numb for uncommon key sigs (C#m and Bm respectively)

tFB Trader
    Are you going to post clips? 

I might do if I'm feeling brave. 

I've only been having lessons for a few weeks so I'm still not very good. 
    I have a recording of me singing "One of these days" 

I should also add I can only do tracks famous enough to have Karaoke versions on Spotify!

• Interesting...could you sing at all before?

Are the lessons building and refining an existing skill?

Needle and the Damage Done and most Neil Young springs to mind. As they are decent tunes to play along with on guitar.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31185
    I'd really try and look at 3 great male vox:

Neil FInn
    Lindsey Buckingham
    Glenn Tilbrook

All have amazing higher register, all have such musical voices. Master Don't Dream It's Over and you'll pull all the chicks!!

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

tFB Trader
    Gassage said:

Neil FInn
    Lindsey Buckingham
    Glenn Tilbrook

All have amazing higher register, all have such musical voices. Master Don't Dream It's Over and you'll pull all the chicks!!
    Good suggestions @Gassage.

That's actually kind of freaky you say that because when I was 16 years old I serenaded a girl who 16 years later is now my wife with "Don't Dream It's Over". 

Not because I'm romantic you understand, but because I'd just bought a multi FX and was explaining what a chorus pedal did. (Yes I was a boring fucker even at 16)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Iamnobody said:
    Interesting...could you sing at all before?

Are the lessons building and refining an existing skill?

Needle and the Damage Done and most Neil Young springs to mind. As they are decent tunes to play along with on guitar.
    It depends what you mean by "Could Sing" 

I could sort of hold a tune and I've done some fairly crappy backing vocals in bands before, but I'm not someone you would want to hear singing solo. 

I've improved quite a bit in the last couple of months, but I still wouldn't try and front a band for example.

I'll be writing an article for Easy Ear Training about my experiences at some point so I'll link to it when it's up.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31185
    Gassage said:

Neil FInn
    Lindsey Buckingham
    Glenn Tilbrook

Good suggestions @Gassage.

That's actually kind of freaky you say that because when I was 16 years old I serenaded a girl who 16 years later is now my wife with "Don't Dream It's Over". 

Not because I'm romantic you understand, but because I'd just bought a multi FX and was explaining what a chorus pedal did. (Yes I was a boring fucker even at 16)

I stereotyped you from day 1 mate ;)

Re those voices, amazingly all smoked like chimneys at the height of their powers. Sweet vocalists, all.

If ever you get the chance to see Glenn Tilbrook's one man acoustic show it's staggeringly fun and good.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.