Mesa pedals

What's Hot
MattGMattG Frets: 170
Anybody on here tried any of the new mesa pedals?
specifically the flux 5 or throttle box EQ, i'm thinking of selling off my OCD and angry troll and buying one but I thought i would see if anybody had any experience with them first.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6237
    tFB Trader
    I've tried both of them at andertons. both are stellar. really flexible, the eq adds great versatility. the only thing i would say is that the throttle box is really only suited for very high gain. i found it a touch hollow sounding at lower gain settings. 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • Mesa's own demos on YT are bloody awful.

I remember when the original Throttle Box came out and I was shocked how bad it sounded, then I heard Harry Maas demo, and it sounded great. They should let him do the official pedal demos.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• MattGMattG Frets: 170
    yeah the mesa vids were shockingly terrible i don't know why you would produce such bad demos for gear that costs so much money!
    @thorpy6 Its mainly the flux 5 i was looking at, how does it compare to the OCD?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73154
    edited September 2014
    I have a Flux Drive and I think the Mesa demo is pretty accurate! I hope that doesn't put anyone off ;). Actually to be honest, if you don't like the demos I hope it does, otherwise you may be disappointed... :)

I haven't listened to the other demo, but I suspect the same is true as with a lot of gear, and that the player can make a lot of difference to how it comes over.

I have the original non-EQ version - it's very good. It's the only overdrive I've ever tried which doesn't have that typical irritating separation of the clean and dirty sounds as the signal decays back to clean. It's not actually especially high-gain, cleans up well with playing dynamics and is quite midrangy unless you crank up the bass and treble - I run both nearly full up.

It is theoretically 'Tube Screamer based' - at least, it uses the same type of clipping circuit - but doesn't sound anything like one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited September 2014 tFB Trader
    MattG said:
    yeah the mesa vids were shockingly terrible i don't know why you would produce such bad demos for gear that costs so much money!
    @thorpy6 Its mainly the flux 5 i was looking at, how does it compare to the OCD?

I'd say different, but in a good way. It's smoother than the OCD and less harsh too. like ICBM says it's mostly a tubescreamer esque pedal, I owned the non eq version too and i can honestly say the eq version is better. Mesa pedals are built like tanks, sound great and seemingly versatile but..... A bit spendy
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    thorpy6 said:
    MattG said:

I'd say different, but in a good way. It's smoother than the OCD and less harsh too. like ICBM says it's mostly a tubescreamer esque pedal, I owned the non eq version too and i can honestly say the eq version is better. Mesa pedals are built like tanks, sound great and seemingly versatile but..... A bit spendy
    Thats the opposite of what i wanted to hear now i'm going to have to try to resist trying one in peach :/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    I just speak the truth, i must warn you though the mesa pedals are a gateway drug into the world of mesa amps....... My bank account weeps at my MK V
    I would like a mk v sometime but i am more than happy with my Swart at the moment :)
  • If anyone gets a Throttle Box EQ can they do a good demo?

The f/switchable EQ would be an excellent choice for me.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616

I've got the Grid Slammer.

It's a better Tube Screamer than any TS I have ever heard or played with. Very happy with it indeed. It's certainly a keeper.