5-way switch and a push-pull to make 10 different sounds in a H-H guitar?

What's Hot
Joe123Joe123 Frets: 8
edited May 2022 in Making & Modding
Hi, friends

I just want to ask about wiring.

The photo attached in this link :

https://www.linkpicture.com/view.php?img=LPic62848c0038e5f826368827

is from Dimarzio's website and the model is Ibanez SA32 FM. 
That guitar has Ibanez duo switch and duo-bucker Pickup and I think they may have 10 different tones out from that guitar.(please correct me if I am wrong).

Now, my question is, can we do the same wiring scheme using a regular push-pull and also regular such as Dimarzio's or Seymour Duncan Pickups?

I am asking this because I think I need the split-coil mode but I want to retain the usual 5-way switch combination (especially the parallel neck combination).

Thanks.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 7427
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    image.png 324.8K
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74477
    That gives eight different sounds - the pull-switch does nothing in the front two positions - but it will work with any type of push/pull/other switch, since all it's doing is splitting the bridge pickup.

It will work with any manufacturer's pickups with 4-conductor wiring, but the colour coding may (will!) be different because they can't agree on a common standard...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SporkySporky Frets: 30208
    Doesn't the neckmost position switch the neck humbucker between series and parallel? I'm going by the chart, not following the wiring. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1759
    according to Mark's infographic.. as per ICBMs comments, 3 of those "positions" are identical..

PUSH #4
    PULL #4 & #5
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2253
    As pointed out, that looks like 8 options.

There are 10 sounds on my Ibanez AZ2402, as shown on the Ibanez website (link below)

https://www.ibanez.com/eu/products/detail/az2402_01.html

It's not a competition.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74477
    according to Mark's infographic.. as per ICBMs comments, 3 of those "positions" are identical..

PUSH #4
    PULL #4 & #5
    That’s a mistake in the diagram - all the pull-switch does is split the bridge pickup, so the neck remains series in the front position.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15262
    Ten sounds from a five-way lever and a mode switch normally involves a four-pole Superswitch.

Some USA Fenders had a hybrid switch. Conventional eight terminal wafer handling the traditional five selections. Oak Grigsby style twelve contact wafer sorting out the smartarse series/parallel combinations. S-1 switch flipping between modes … until it failed.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Joe123 said:
    my question is, can we do the same wiring scheme using a regular push-pull and also regular such as Dimarzio or Seymour Duncan Pickups?
    Yes, of course. Just make the necessary output conductor insulation colour code conversion to suit your chosen pickup brand.

For me, the real question is, why would you want that particular circuit? Are you hoping to maximise your options or just get the best combinations that HH can offer?

Joe123 said:
    I think I need the split-coil mode but I want to retain the usual 5-way switch combination (especially the parallel neck combination).
    My anecdotal experience of playing Ibanez and similar shred stick guitars is that the most useful five coil permutations are;

Neck HB coils in series
    Neck HB coils in parallel
    Both HBs
    Inside coils in parallel
    Bridge HB coils in series.

To this, you could usefully add a partial coil split to the bridge HB. Unfortunately, to preserve the other sounds, the connection to the mode switch would occupy one pole of a four-pole selector switch. It would have to be the screw coil that is partially split.

edited May 2022
    ICBM said:

PUSH #4
    PULL #4 & #5
    That’s a mistake in the diagram - all the pull-switch does is split the bridge pickup, so the neck remains series in the front position.

I misunderstood the shading of the diagram.. the following are in effect the same.

PUSH #4 & PULL #4
    PUSH #5 & PULL #5

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

I misunderstood the shading of the diagram.
    I disagree. The shading on the coils diagrams is actively misleading. It uses red, yellow and a halfway house ochre. The only colour key explanation is that yellow indicates both coils of a humbucker connected in parallel.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30208
    There was a chap on the Seymour Duncan forums years ago who came up with incredibly complex schemes - three three-way toggles, a rotary switch, and four push-pull in one. He'd claim several hundred combinations, but on working them through typically half were redundant repeats, and quite often half of the rest would always be silent. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    I misunderstood the shading of the diagram.
    I disagree. The shading on the coils diagrams is actively misleading. It uses red, yellow and a halfway house ochre. The only colour key explanation is that yellow indicates both coils of a humbucker connected in parallel.

for my sanity then... what does the "ochre" represent? in particularly the neck #5 position?
    My trading feedback

The diagram fails to make that clear.

There is nothing in the circuit to change the behaviour of the neck position humbucker. Thus, the third colour signifies nothing whatsoever.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 662
    My PRS is wired to give Bridge HB, B&N partially out of phase, B&N in phase, Bridge HB & Neck with partial split, Neck full HB. A push pull partially splits both HBs. Pulled position 3&4 should be the same, but I've added additional resistors and a cap to simulate a traditional 4 pot loading in position 3. The difference is subtle but definitely audible. The only sound I don't particularly use is the partial out of phase when split, full HBs sound way better.