Shred haters look away now ...

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
OK, I know that a lot of people don't like 'shred', and that is fair enough. Personally I quite like a bit occasionally, I'm not a 'listen to a whole album' person, but I sure can admire and respect the skill and talent that are involved. 

So anyway, I just saw and enjoyed this. It's Igor Paspalj, someone who has made quite a stir over the past few years with his playing. If you aren't into shred, spare yourself and don't click play, but if like me you like a bit of fleet fingered madness, maybe take a look.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1759
    fair play to him.. is it a Malmsteen cover?? let's be honest here, if it's not, it might as well be.. 
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6938
    More is more.  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2254
    I enjoyed that. Remarkable.

It's not a competition.
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1558
    The minute I opened the link I saw the blond stratocaster and scalloped fretboard...
    oh so I'm in for some Malmsteen...
    and ...yep..sure enough - as night follows day...
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8684
    I didn't heed your warning. I bailed out after about 20 seconds. 
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 626
    No that's not a Malmsteen cover, that's one of his from his course ... and I thought that was great!  I wish my timing was as accurate at speed ... if I could even get that fast consistently!

I'm off to type "yawn" on a load of blues and "indie" video threads now ...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4256
    I love his picking technique,  wish mine was like that. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11682
    Bloody hell. So quick that his knees have exploded through his jeans.

Takes me back to the days of browsing through the racks at Shades in Soho. Lovely reminiscent stuff. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25111
    It really feels like something from the Shrapnel albums of the 1980s - although I dare say he's even faster and more precise than those guys.  The neoclassical(?) style of shred isn't my favourite, but it's entertaining. 
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1759
    He's got the malmsteen vibe nailed, hopefully there is a market for it still. His skills are immense and it looks effortless.

Fair play to him. I could only dream of being that slick. 
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 5056
    I liked that.  Not sure I'd want to listen to a whole album at once, though.  What's good about it is that, even though there's a shedload of notes going on, they outline a recognisable melody and hook.  And makes it look so, so easy.

Right, got to get back to fumbling my way through Billy Duffy solos...
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16315
    edited May 2022
    FFS! Thing about rock guitar, and wot I love the most, is good cats have their own tone

Blackmore....Kossof...Green.....Beck......May and on and on...

but these shreddy dudes? gawd it's so bloody tedious how they ALL sound alike with nary a fag paper between them and their "tone" DREADFUL..........................................................................................................................IMO

"Shred haters look away now ..."

I couldnae help myself

tae be or not tae be
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    Hootsmon said:
    FFS! Thing about rock guitar, and wot I love the most, is good cats have their own tone

Blackmore....Kossof...Green.....Beck......May and on and on...

but these shreddy dudes? gawd it's so bloody tedious how they ALL sound alike with nary a fag paper between them and their "tone" DREADFUL..........................................................................................................................IMO

"Shred haters look away now ..."

I couldnae help myself

Do us all a favour and try harder next time ...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4635
    Jolly enjoyable 
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2959
    Loved that. As said before, his picking technique is mental.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30210
    Hootsmon said:

but these shreddy dudes? gawd it's so bloody tedious how they ALL sound alike with nary a fag paper between them and their "tone" DREADFUL..................................................................................................

I wonder, though, if that's like how all whisky/whiskey tastes the same to me - nasty. If you don't like something, all examples will seem very similar. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 11041
    Sporky said:
    Hootsmon said:

but these shreddy dudes? gawd it's so bloody tedious how they ALL sound alike with nary a fag paper between them and their "tone" DREADFUL..................................................................................................

I wonder, though, if that's like how all whisky/whiskey tastes the same to me - nasty. If you don't like something, all examples will seem very similar. 
    Yeah whisky just tastes like whiskey to me ;) hehe
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5694
    I don't really hate anything musical (although I'm not mad keen on people who insist on shitting all over other people's threads just because they have to get their gobbing-off jollies), but I'm not a natural shred fanboi. That, however, was a very enjoyable and musical listen, despite all the flurry-of-notes passages.
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 626
    Hootsmon said:

Helpful as ever.  And tbh I could say the same about all modern blues players. They all sound the same and aside from a few notable examples there is sod all invention in any of it.

Like what you like, don't like what you don't like, but when other people have their chips out put your cock away, that's not the vinegar they are after.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1046
    Bezzer said:
    Hootsmon said:

Helpful as ever.  And tbh I could say the same about all modern blues players. They all sound the same and aside from a few notable examples there is sod all invention in any of it.

Like what you like, don't like what you don't like, but when other people have their chips out put your cock away, that's not the vinegar they are after.
    +1. It's pointless and pretty ignorant, and he'd never say it to the guys face anyway...