Choosing a bass amp

What's Hot
ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1633
Impossible task I know but son in France has asked because the bass player in his band has asked HIM! So dad gets the job.
The band is not overly loud, seems they do 'Queen' type songs but not covers. Son says drummer is good musician and not a rabid basher. Venues? None yet but probably pubs, cafes and medium sized halls.

My thoughts were 100W minimum, personally I would go for a head and cab? I have NO idea what is good, bad, reliable or otherwise. Budget seems very flexible and transport no problem.

Dave.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    Can't go wrong with a Fender Rumble 100.

Enough volume to gig (if required), solid sounds and light, too.

I favour and use the Roland 120XL Baas Cube because of the modelled amps and fx
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14427
    Basic rule of thumb, in the interests of clean headroom, find out the wattages of the guitarists' amplifiers and (at least) double it. 

Some of the quoted RMS figures for Fender Rumble combos are only achieved with an extension loudspeaker cabinet connected. e.g. the Rumble 200 only manages about 120w on its own.

A modestly powered bass amp, running flat out to keep up with the guitars, may sound distorted and will eventually fail prematurely.

When I occasionally deputised in a local cover versions trio, the guitarist/shoutist used a Marshall 6101 (100w) and I had a DBS 7400/7210/7115 stack (400w). Neither amplifier was strained. (Only my back!)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4921
    If you want lightweight and compact, the MarkBass range is what you should use as a basis for comparison: one of their heads and a 2x12 should do the job or their 1x15 combo.
    There are some compact TC options, though I've never heard them; as I recall, one even has wheels and a pull-out trolley handle.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    Barefaced cabs are worth checking out.
    I have a BB3 that I use with an Ampeg SVT head and it is ridiculously loud and clean.

Mark Bass are a good shout too.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24275
    I'm using an Ashdown RM800 Evo 2 with a Barefaced Super Twin.

It sounds amazing, although not a cheap set up.

I'd say 300W minimum for a gigging bass amp. Bass just needs far more power for similar volume.

I'm also a big fan of Mark Bass. They are still lightweight even if not as light as BF kit.
  • CE1CE1 Frets: 567
    Another vote for Barefaced cabs, amazing sound and stupidly lightweight.