RIP - Lester Piggot t

What's Hot
bertiebertie Frets: 13568
edited June 2022 in Tributes
"the" famous jockey   growing up........................ 

no more tax to worry about now 
just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
 just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
    According to Mrs equalsql,  who is a complete expert, nay encyclopedia , on 20th century British flat racing*,
    Lester Piggot had an almost telepathic connection to the horses he rode. She told me she'd never seen anyone able to 'read' a horse like he could, he was so attuned to the animal.
    An utter legend in horse racing, 9 Derby wins and nearly 4.5k in a lifetime. Extraordinary.

A reporter once asked him after a race "When did you know you were going to win" to which he replied "about two weeks ago"  :)

RIP Lester, I doubt we'll ever see the like of you again.

* At the tender age of 17 she was arguably the youngest horse-pedigree researcher who ever worked for the Curragh Bloodstock Agency in Newmarket back in the early 1980s.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    edited May 2022
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Not a fan of the sport, but an absolute legend. THE jockey, for a lot of folks, I should think..
    I well remember the tax scandal, and all that.. how times have changed..

RIP
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• StefBStefB Frets: 2355
    His funeral is next Wednesday at 20/1. 
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12363
    I honestly thought he’d died years ago. I’ll admit I know sod all about horse racing but I do know you don’t get to win as many races as Lester did unless you’re truly exceptional. 

RIP. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22794
    My impression, probably inaccurate, is that the tax evasion conviction really ruined his reputation and he seemed to disappear from public life.  I can't remember the last time I heard his name mentioned, although I don't follow horse racing.

If he got done for tax evasion now, everyone would think he was a cheeky scamp - a perfect hero for the Boris Johnson era.  He'd have been in the House of Lords.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    Greatest Jockey ever .....Dettori didn't come close
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22794
    Just a thought @bertie, might be worth changing the title to add the second "t" to Piggott.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    Philly_Q said:
    Just a thought @bertie, might be worth changing the title to add the second "t" to Piggott.
    he lost that in the great 90s tax scandal 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I always hated horse racing, but even as a child I knew the name Lester Piggott. It was an intriguing name, but also he was just s famous that you heard his name a lot. He was very tall for a jockey and known as 'the long fellow', and he pioneered a new and unique riding style. Rode 4,493 winners!

If anyone is interested I found this decent tribute video. 10 mins long and worth a look if you want to know what he was about.

• DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    axisus said:
    I always hated horse racing, but even as a child I knew the name Lester Piggott. It was an intriguing name, but also he was just s famous that you heard his name a lot. He was very tall for a jockey and known as 'the long fellow', and he pioneered a new and unique riding style. Rode 4,493 winners!

If anyone is interested I found this decent tribute video. 10 mins long and worth a look if you want to know what he was about.

I bet you also knew the name Harvey Smith ,the showjumper .He also seemed to be well known of outside of the Equestrian world.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Dominic said:
    I bet you also knew the name Harvey Smith ,the showjumper .He also seemed to be well known of outside of the Equestrian world.
    Yes, you are right!