Masking tape for marking up enclosures etc

What's Hot
KeefyKeefy Frets: 2472
edited May 2022 in Making & Modding
The beige masking tape that you get for general decorating use always has a coarse textured surface. As a result it can be hard to draw a good continuous straight line on it with a pencil and accurately mark a drilling centre on a pedal enclosure, chassis etc.

Is there a version with a smoother surface that takes a pencil line clearly? I'm not bothered about things like paint bleed, as long as any small amount of residue can be easily removed.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• brucegillbrucegill Frets: 729

Hosa Tech Scribble Strip Console Tape is nice and smooth. Pricey though. 

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20590
    Try searching for 'kraft parcel tape'. It is smoother than the decorating type. Can be self adhesive with low-tack adhesive or if water activated can be re-wetted & removed.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2472
    brucegill said:

Hosa Tech Scribble Strip Console Tape is nice and smooth. Pricey though. 

Pricey? You''re not kidding!
    Try searching for 'kraft parcel tape'. It is smoother than the decorating type. Can be self adhesive with low-tack adhesive or if water activated can be re-wetted & removed.
    Thanks, that's useful.
  • FlipFlip Frets: 68
    Is either of the Frogtape variants any better than the usual stuff you mentioned, especially the yellow, low-tack variant?
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2797
    It's probably too expensive, but there is designer's low-tack tape - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scotch-3M-Magic-Removable-Finish/dp/B00006IF61/ref=sr_1_54?keywords=low+tack+tape&qid=1653845539&sr=8-54

It's translucent, smooth, takes pencil and felt-tip and is easily removable.
    edited May 2022
    Flip said:
    Is either of the Frogtape variants any better than the usual stuff you mentioned, especially the yellow, low-tack variant?
    That’s come up on my searches but I’ve never seen the product in person.
    It's probably too expensive, but there is designer's low-tack tape - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scotch-3M-Magic-Removable-Finish/dp/B00006IF61/ref=sr_1_54?keywords=low+tack+tape&qid=1653845539&sr=8-54

It's translucent, smooth, takes pencil and felt-tip and is easily removable.
    Ooh that looks like a winner, unless it’s clear - for my current project the chassis has a black crackle finish.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30208
    I always marked the bare enclosure before painting. Paper template taped onto the enclosure, centre punch through that, drill, paint. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3826
    edited May 2022
    I use a rule and scribe, or just pencil, then centre punch.

Saying that I never had a problem writing or drawing on the white masking tape. I've used it to make labels for lots of stuff.
    Sporky said:
    I always marked the bare enclosure before painting. Paper template taped onto the enclosure, centre punch through that, drill, paint. 

Saying that I never had a problem writing or drawing on the white masking tape. I've used it to make labels for lots of stuff.
    I'd struggle to see pencil lines on a black crackle panel! A scribe is fine for the final centres, but I sometimes want to draw construction lines in pencil.

I picked up a roll of 3M Scotch blue from Screwfix this morning and that seems to take a much clearer pencil line. The only downside is somewhat reduced contrast.
  • SimoSimo Frets: 46
    Try some Application Tape. It's used for applying vinyl stickers but makes a great masking tape. It comes in different levels of adhesive (the low tack tape is very useful for masking off guitar bodies while doing fretwork etc) and is as easy to write on as a piece of paper. Works very well with paint too, I used to use it to signwrite banger cars and had no issues with bleed.
    Simo said:
    Try some Application Tape. It's used for applying vinyl stickers but makes a great masking tape. It comes in different levels of adhesive (the low tack tape is very useful for masking off guitar bodies while doing fretwork etc) and is as easy to write on as a piece of paper. Works very well with paint too, I used to use it to signwrite banger cars and had no issues with bleed.
    Cheers I’ll look into that.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3826
    Keefy said:
    Sporky said:

I'd struggle to see pencil lines on a black crackle panel! A scribe is fine for the final centres, but I sometimes want to draw construction lines in pencil.

I picked up a roll of 3M Scotch blue from Screwfix this morning and that seems to take a much clearer pencil line. The only downside is somewhat reduced contrast.

Ah, I usually drill first. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Keefy said:
    Sporky said:

Ah, I usually drill first. 
    Been there, done that!