Mini Soldano announced

What's Hot
stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7143

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    I see quite a few people raving about it but tbh I think it sounds very similar to the BE, Bogner and Diezel mini heads. Hardly surprising but I was expecting them all to be far more distinct from each other than they are because despite them all being boutique takes on modded Marshall tones, the actual real amps sound quite different. 

Can’t deny it looks cool though! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7143
    I got some details here in my article on GN, looks nice and for under £300 its a neat toy

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7143
    New vid up

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4159
    Darn you beat me to posting this must saw Leon Todd advertising it 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    He's careful not to say which valves aren't being used.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • £249 on these 
    Sassafras said:
    He's careful not to say which valves aren't being used.
    I think a sweet water video has an interview with Mike soldano which is really good ,he says it’s all the same signal path layout it’s just that the valves are replaced with IC’s 
    I’m interested to know if the DI out from the send which is used by Rabea and Leon Todd in videos ,means it can be used to connect to an audio interface ,without using a speaker cab.

I know that sounds a bit mad but the marshalls do it (origin and dsl) and the little hotone does it too 
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4134
    Adamski said:
    I see quite a few people raving about it but tbh I think it sounds very similar to the BE, Bogner and Diezel mini heads. Hardly surprising but I was expecting them all to be far more distinct from each other than they are because despite them all being boutique takes on modded Marshall tones, the actual real amps sound quite different. 

Can’t deny it looks cool though! 
    Sounds very different from my VH Mini, to my ears!

It’s a shame that the Crunch/OD aren’t footswitchable, but someone will probably find a way to mod it and add one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • funhousefunhouse Frets: 124
    Sounds pretty good to me, and I used to own an SLO 100

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    It’s a shame that the Crunch/OD aren’t footswitchable, but someone will probably find a way to mod it and add one.
    That's an absolute deal-breaker for me, unless it is. It seems a remarkable oversight.

On the bright side, the fact that Soldano is putting his name to this at all indicates that solid-state is *finally* being taken seriously by major amp designers.

funhouse said:
    Sounds pretty good to me, and I used to own an SLO 100
    It's astonishingly close given the difference in cost. Not quite the same - the full-size SLO does have a depth that the little one can't quite get, but it's really not far off.

Although to be accurate, I'm not really interested in this - I'm waiting for Mesa to get on the bandwagon as well. If they make a miniature solid-state Trem-o-verb that sounds like the real thing, they've already got my money. (The Rectoverb 25 was close, but not quite it.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Rabea can make anything sound good. Absolute beast
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    Sounds good via my mac book speakers - I watched the Andertons review yesterday thought it sounded excellent then as well. Personally I'd need a clean channel.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited June 2022
    I like the sound of that.

So, we've got the Soldano SLO, a Bogner XTC, Diezel VH and a Friedman BE. Do we know if there are any plans in the pipeline to have a mini head whose forte are clean or clean-crunch sounds? Ok, 30W solid state might be limited in terms of headroom for that it'll be more about the sound, yeah, and just wondered or what might be next? 

Ta
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24275
    https://youtu.be/HvgVuLPNcN4

I like that. Sounds great. 
    Kebabkid said:
    I like the sound of that.

So, we've got the Soldano SLO, a Bogner XTC, Diezel VH and a Friedman BE. Do we know if there are any plans in the pipeline to have a mini head whose forte are clean or clean-crunch sounds? Ok, 30W solid state might be limited in terms of headroom for that it'll be more about the sound, yeah, and just wondered or what might be next? 

Ta

My hope is that we get a Morgan AC - they’re already linked to B.A.D. who produce these minis, and already have a preamp pedal to base it on too (a la Friedman, Diezel, Bogner)
    I’m actually slightly puzzled that they’re making them 30W - it’s so easy with Class D and an outboard power supply to make it almost any power you want, with almost no weight or cost penalty, that I’m surprised they didn’t make it 100W - bearing in mind that even with good design it’s unlikely to be as loud as a 30W valve amp. (The dynamic response is just different, and they never are.)

Although it has occurred to me that maybe they didn’t want to call it 100W in case it wasn’t taken seriously, but actually it sneakily *is*… and thus sounds as loud as a 30W valve one :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

@ICBM, I see them marketed primarily as home/bedroom third amps rather than as a gigging/main amp. They’d need to add channel switching at least if so, which is technically doable on the Bogner, VH4*, and Soldano preamps. Maybe that’ll be a v2 offering of them :mrgreen: 

*if they re-made the Mini based on the VH4-2 pedal rather than the VH4-1 at least. Diezel could also offer a 2ch Herbert Mini
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26581
    ICBM said:
    I’m actually slightly puzzled that they’re making them 30W - it’s so easy with Class D and an outboard power supply to make it almost any power you want, with almost no weight or cost penalty, that I’m surprised they didn’t make it 100W - bearing in mind that even with good design it’s unlikely to be as loud as a 30W valve amp. (The dynamic response is just different, and they never are.)

Although it has occurred to me that maybe they didn’t want to call it 100W in case it wasn’t taken seriously, but actually it sneakily *is*… and thus sounds as loud as a 30W valve one :).
    I think it's more likely that they simply don't want these to be any more than home-use toys. That aligns with the whole "no footswitch" thing - they explicitly don't want these things used at gigs.
    <space for hire>
    I think it's more likely that they simply don't want these to be any more than home-use toys. That aligns with the whole "no footswitch" thing - they explicitly don't want these things used at gigs.
    Good luck with that, given how small and light they are :).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom