James Dean Bradfield - Manics live rig pics

What's Hot
Vintage-TVintage-T Frets: 409
edited June 2022 in Music
Got to see the Manics at a small festival in Cornwall this weekend. What a treat to be able to get up close to one of my fave live bands. His white Les Paul Custom is probably my favourite 'guitar hero' axe ever.

Took a few snaps of James' rig and guitars, only one I missed was a 335 but he only used that for 1 song.

Hope it's of interest....
0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 13737
    JDB loves the humbucker teles these days doesn't he?  I suspect as a man in his 50s his back thanks him for that!

Wonderful musician from my all-time favourite band, thanks for snaps :)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3500
    wow! Thats so cool. Big fan here too. Very underrated. Did you notice the amount of open tunings he uses?  
  • Vintage-TVintage-T Frets: 409
    wow! Thats so cool. Big fan here too. Very underrated. Did you notice the amount of open tunings he uses?  
    I think the Shergold was in open tuning, but not sure what, he used it for Design For Life, and wasn't playing the way you would in standard so that's only a guess.

Everything else looked in standard tbh
    JDB loves the humbucker teles these days doesn't he?  I suspect as a man in his 50s his back thanks him for that!

Wonderful musician from my all-time favourite band, thanks for snaps :)
    He only used it for 2 songs, 80% of the gig was still the LP Custom.

Still dazzling how he never trips up on his lead when moving about. I don't move about much when playing, but could trip on my shadow easily enough.
    I'll see if I can upload the vid I took of Despair to Where.
    Vintage-T said:
    I think the Shergold was in open tuning, but not sure what, he used it for Design For Life, and wasn't playing the way you would in standard so that's only a guess.

Everything else looked in standard tbh
    Did they do Kevin Carter? From memory thats open F and he used to use an Italia of some sort. 
    Just looked at the setlist....nothing from the Holy Bible?! Scary. 
    Nah, they didn't play it. Gutted

Pretty sure it was:
    Motorcycle Emptiness
    Your Love alone
    Everything Must Go
    Found That Soul
    A Design For Life
    Autumnsong
    She Sells Sanctuary
    Enola/Alone
    Complicated Illusions
    You stole the sun....
    From Despair to Where
    Borderline (madge cover)
    Tsunami
    You Love Us
    If you Tolerate

May have missed one or 2, not entirely sure on the new stuff, or the order it was played in, but it's about right.
    Yeah, travesty that they pretty much ignore GATS and Bible. Would have loved Faster and Roses in the Hospital.
    Wow, never heard borderline! Madonnas best song!
    I'd have preferred 2 more manics songs and not 2 covers...it was ok, but waste of a song tbh
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Vintage-T said:
    I'd have preferred 2 more manics songs and not 2 covers...it was ok, but waste of a song tbh
    Ive just seen a video. Very poor cover. I get the edgy sentiment of doing it, but not at a Headline festival set. 
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1223
    TheVintage-T said:
    Yeah, travesty that they pretty much ignore GATS and Bible. Would have loved Faster and Roses in the Hospital.
    As a rule, they don't play anything from the Holy Bible since the anniversary gigs.
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1223
    edited June 2022
    You'd do well to find a bigger Manics fan on the forum here than myself! 

Incredibly underrated guitarist. Legend has it that he has over 300 guitars. I'm glad he still brings out his 1990 Les Paul Custom as I know that he is a massive fan of the Troublemaker tele as it is essentially a Les Paul in a (lighter) tele body. But it still looks odd to me.

My favourite recent JDB guitar is the original 60-whatever Jazzmaster that he has been playing since the Holy Bible anniversary gigs. It is especially fantastic on his recent solo album "Even in Exile". Here is a video of the song "The Boy from the Plantation". Very War on Drugs-esque sounds on the riffs.

https://youtu.be/d2nFbv2ynjk
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    Always good to see a bit of JDB love. 

I think the only alt tuning on that setlist is Tsunami which is open G with a high C instead of D (so DGDGBC).  There are loads of others in open G (or thereabouts) including Kevin Carter, Small Black Flowers.. and This Is Yesterday. Then you have My Little Empire which is something like EAEFAE 

As for humbucky Teles, let's not forget Motorcycle Emptiness was a 72 Thinline Tele all those years ago. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    LPManic said:
    TheVintage-T said:
    As a rule, they don't play anything from the Holy Bible since the anniversary gigs.
    Fingers crossed for a 30th anniversary tour then. I totally get why they don't play anything, still a shame from a fans POV as they're some of the band's very best.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1558
    I had no idea he was such a gear head.
    Seriously into his guitars / rigs and openly discusses his passion in the guitar mags unlike a popular floppy fringed indie idol who feels discussing gear in the mags is like an artist stating what brushes he uses for his art...FFS...

...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6949
    edited June 2022
    Was a huge Manics fan back in the day.
    Wouldn’t open my curtains if they were playing in my back garden these days, to be honest, but have to say JDB’s guitar sounds at the Holy Bible anniversary tour gig I saw were probably the best guitar sounds I’ve ever heard live.

And I’ve seen a few guitarists noted for their impeccable tone.

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 7430
    edited June 2022
    Was a huge Manics fan back in the day.
    Wouldn’t open my curtains if they were playing in my back garden these days, to be honest, but have to say JDB’s guitar sounds at the Holy Bible anniversary tour gig I saw were probably the best guitar sounds I’ve ever heard live.

And I’ve seen a few guitarists noted for their impeccable tone.

I feel the same way, first few albums were great, edgy and exciting, and saw them live four times in the early 90s. Then they turned out Muzak.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1050
    Great pictures thanx
    “Ken sent me.”