Workshop lighting

What's Hot
BodBod Frets: 1299
Hi,

I'm finding myself doing more setups, nut replacements and fret levels for friends and family and I'm finding that the lighting is far superior outside on the patio table than anywhere else.  I'm thinking about setting up a workstation in the shed, but there are no windows and putting one in just isn't an option. 

Are there any recommended solutions for decent lighting solutions that can get close to natural light?   
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    LED strip lights provide a lot of light with little shadow. My workshop had 5ft flourescent tubes. I replaced these with 5ft ‘daylight” LED strips. They give a bright but even light, and really look the same colour as daylight. For really close work I might add and LED spotlight
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    Roland said:
    LED strip lights provide a lot of light with little shadow. My workshop had 5ft flourescent tubes. I replaced these with 5ft ‘daylight” LED strips. They give a bright but even light, and really look the same colour as daylight. For really close work I might add and LED spotlight
    This.

I just moved house, and replaced the fluorescent tube in the garage with an LED one (direct replacement, comes with a replacement "starter") and am very happy with it.

R.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28172
    I have a whole load of impact resistant LED units. Because I'm clumsy and gave a ladder in the workshop. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BodBod Frets: 1299
    Thanks chaps.  I'll start researching options  =)  
    These are nice too - being panels instead of strips or spots you get less shadowing.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Lighting_Menu_Index/LEDlite_Modulars_1200/index.html
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • alexhalexh Frets: 58
    I got some nice Integral led strips from tool station, recommended by an electrician friend as decent quality.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27474
    Roland said:
    Hate to say this, but @Roland speaks wisely.
    ;)

I've got 5 x 5ft LED strips for general illumination, and then a couple of LED spots around my main workspace.

It works well.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Bump!

I'm in the market for some LED panels for my (soon-to-be-converted-to-a-workshop) garage. Are those TLC panels that @Sporky linked to worth a look, or are there others I should consider? They seem like a fair price for what you get, but I'm hardly an expert on this :mrgreen: 

I've got a canted roof in there so plenty of room to work in and hang lights off of, while routing ventilation ducts and cabling above etc.
    I've not used those panels, but in general TLC stock decent quality stuff.