What I'm watching (acoustic content)

What's Hot
TanninTannin Frets: 5430
I just stumbled across this hidden gem. It is Michael Fix doing a live-stream for Maton during the height of the pandemic. He is such a relaxed, no-nonsense bloke, he just plays something and then chats a bit, plays a bit more.

And every bloody thing he plays I think "Wow! I want to play like that!" And then I remember that it was a live stream - no studio trickery, no second takes. He mumbles and gets his words a bit mixed up now and then but there is nothing wrong with his guitar playing.

Enjoy!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GandalphGandalph Frets: 1577
    Just clicked on this for a quick watch but noticed it's nearly 1 hour 20 mins long. Enjoyed the first 5 mins or so so I'll watch it when I have more time. 

Quite timely as I'm getting a bit closer to dipping my toe into the Maton market....and that's coming from someone who has previously stated they hate barn door electronics. I'm slowly coming round to the idea of getting one to take out and play...I really like their ap5 pro system. The one's I've heard anyway. Probably look for something in the 808 range. Waiting for something to come along reasonably local so I can try it first. 

I was surprised he pronounces it Ma(y)ton. I always though it was Maton with the flat 'a' sound. 
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5430
    Most people (95%, give or take) say it as you say it, @Gandalph - Michael Fix says it differently. I don't know why. (But he is from Queensland. They always were a bit weird up there.)

I can't really comment on the pickups, I never use them. You'd be most welcome to try my three Matons out for size but my little shack in Tasmania is a little bit out of your way I reckon. :)

I first came across Michael Fix many years ago when, as a young man, he was suddenly thrust into the limelight when Tommy E had to pull out of a huge outdoor Sydney concert at the last moment. It was one of those things with a cast of thousands and a symphony orchestra and fireworks and so on. Tommy recommended that they give Michael Fix a call, and Michael had a couple of days to not only learn the piece (which was the concert finale) but learn Tommy's arrangement of it as it was too late to re-rehearse the orchestra. Never missed a beat. That's class.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    Interesting video.

Interesting bloke, too,the sort you could chat about guitars with over a few beers - the best way to do it :) 
  • GandalphGandalph Frets: 1577
    edited June 2022
    Thank you for the offer @Tannin, but no I don't think Tasmania is on my bus route. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    edited June 2022
    Tannin said:
    Most people (95%, give or take) say it as you say it, @Gandalph - Michael Fix says it differently. I don't know why. (But he is from Queensland. They always were a bit weird up there.)

glad to hear Im in the "5 % "   

how else could you say it with only one T  ?    Mayton.    soft a would be  Matton  ?

that's primary school english that be,   double letter softens the vowel before it  ;)

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1090
    edited June 2022
    bertie said:
    Tannin said:

glad to hear Im in the "5 % "   

how else could you say it with only one T  ?    Mayton.    soft a would be  Matton  ?

that's primary school english that be,   double letter softens the vowel before it 

Hear hear, Bertie!

The people who pronounce Maton as Matton are probably the same weirdos who pronounce capo as caypo.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5430
    No, no Bertie, you've got the wrong end of the stick.

I have never heard anyone at all (not even Americans) say "Matton". It is normal to say Maton with the stress on the first syllable and the "ton" elided. For reasons best known to himself, Michael Fix stresses both syllables. 

The normal Maton pronunciation is not uncommon in British English and pretty much standard in Australian English - think, for example of Australia's largest city, Melbourne. "Mel-b'n" is correct, but the Melbourne in Florida is pronounced "mel-BORN" with the "ourne" drawn out long.