Best iPad Synths?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4159
    Dexed, , FM player 2, synth one
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11875

Anything which lets you send instructions from hardware to your iPad. As you’re interested in synths, probably something with a piano keybed that you can connect to your iPad. You can play synth on the iPad screen, but I found it’s much harder to get the rhythm right
    I have a Yamaha P75, which has a midi out.
    That’ll be perfect for it then. You may need a midi interface and or usb hub if it doesn’t have midi over Usb. I use one by ESI which is great, though I have to be careful about which order I plug stuff in or it get confused 
    Just want to say i got the MIDI Bluetooth thing, came with ZERO instructions, good thing i read an Amazon review that pointed me towards that free app which acts as a bridge between and after 15mins of fiddling i got it working!

No noticeable latency, feels weird to have the piano now to make all these weird noises from it but certainly makes the app into a more tangible product.
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568

No noticeable latency, feels weird to have the piano now to make all these weird noises from it but certainly makes the app into a more tangible product.
     Off topic, but I play keys a lot, and as my collection of gear has expanded over the years I've learned just how much the feel of the keyboard changes what I think I'm hearing. Eg the same piano sound played from a synth keyboard seems to sound more "weighty" when played from a piano type keyboard. Likewise, synth sounds played from a piano type keyboard seem to sound less convincing, but if I play them on a light synth action the same sounds can seem to sound different / right.

A certain amount of this can be explained by velocity curves, but not the whole thing in my experience - the feel of the keyboard really does seem to influence what I think I hear.
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    edited June 2022
    Couple of my favourites are Poison 202 + Moog Model D.

The Moog apps do drop in price/ go free from time to time so worth keeping an eye on appsliced.

Drambo is very good but very very deep in potential and comes with a huge learning curve. Ive not really got into the building my own synths with it yet but as it can host AUV3s I use it purely for its sequencing and p-lock capabilities.

• Anything which lets you send instructions from hardware to your iPad. As you’re interested in synths, probably something with a piano keybed that you can connect to your iPad. You can play synth on the iPad screen, but I found it’s much harder to get the rhythm right
    I have a Yamaha P75, which has a midi out.
    That’ll be perfect for it then. You may need a midi interface and or usb hub if it doesn’t have midi over Usb. I use one by ESI which is great, though I have to be careful about which order I plug stuff in or it get confused 
    Just want to say i got the MIDI Bluetooth thing, came with ZERO instructions, good thing i read an Amazon review that pointed me towards that free app which acts as a bridge between and after 15mins of fiddling i got it working!

Cool, glad you got working. Opens up a whole world of iPad synth apps 

https://musictech.com/ Is a great resource for them. 

If you want to get advanced you can look at DAWs like AUM which let you set up keyboard splits and have multiple synths assigned to different parts of your keybed
    https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/aum-audio-mixer/id1055636344

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • d8m said:
    Couple of my favourites are Poison 202 + Moog Model D.

The Moog apps do drop in price/ go free from time to time so worth keeping an eye on appsliced.

Drambo is very good but very very deep in potential and comes with a huge learning curve. Ive not really got into the building my own synths with it yet but as it can host AUV3s I use it purely for its sequencing and p-lock capabilities.
    https://www.cheapcharts.info/gb Is a useful site for being notified when app prices drop. Also let’s you see historic price changes 

Korg sale just started on appstore, looks like everything is 50% off again.