Paolo Nutini - this might surprise you...

What's Hot
lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2526
Personally I really like Paolo. Probably the best live male vocal I have seen. Saw this the other night and it blew me away. 

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    Change of style (at least from what I’ve heard from him). Agree that he’s an incredible vocalist.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2526
    JezWynd said:
    Change of style (at least from what I’ve heard from him). Agree that he’s an incredible vocalist.
    He would make a great lead man for a rock band. Shades of AC/DC in that song!
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    He's been a quiet force in the background of music for years now, making mostly pretty decent records.

The one with the Funk My Life up song and "Iron Sky" was brilliant, and his debut remains a good listen.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    That’s great, hearing more than a slither of the Stooges there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3244
    That was a pretty solid episode of 'Later...', tbf.
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    I saw it too. Not at all what I was expecting (from my limited knowledge of his music) but I really liked it. 
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    Yes I was impressed.

It's not a competition.
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1130
    Just caught up with this on iPlayer. Loved it.
  • oh_pollooh_pollo Frets: 844
    Terrific. He sounds like Alex Harvey.
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 366
    Zoolooter said:
    That’s great, hearing more than a slither of the Stooges there.
    I thought of The Stooges too. I've always enjoyed Paolo's stuff but I loved that.
    oh_pollo said:
    I was thinking they should've shanghaied Paolo into The Temperance Movement when it all went pear-shaped with Phil Campbell.
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    oh_pollo said:
    I was thinking they should've shanghaied Paolo into The Temperance Movement when it all went pear-shaped with Phil Campbell.
    Not a bad idea, but I imagine relative-popularity wise that would be like the tail wagging the dog.

Paolo almost always has a fantastic 'heavier' song on his albums, surrounded by a larger quantity of pop. Iron Sky was really the highlight of his last album for me, I suspect this will be the same on the new one.
    oh_pollo said:
    Not a bad idea, but I imagine relative-popularity wise that would be like the tail wagging the dog.
    Indeed...it was an entirely selfish idea ;)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    Yes, definitely a bit of a Stooges sound to that- very good.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5142
    Like it. This sounds like a Krautrock band covering the Rolling Stones for the first two thirds, then suddenly goes full AC/DC. You wouldn't think it would work, but it does.

Mrs_bob tends to like gravelly-sounding only-slightly-uncool singer songwriters (this guy, Jack Savoretti, Ray Lamontagne etc) which means I end up listening to them too. Paolo's been away for a minute (last album was 2014!). It's nice he's back.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• McSwaggertyMcSwaggerty Frets: 661
    Aye. Magic.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12363
    That sounded like a Captain Beefheart number till he let rip. Nice. 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    Could it be his year? It's as if a real artist has turned up to show the pop pretenders how it should be done.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5142
    Picked up his new album last week. After a few listens I quite like it. There's a fair bit of his blue eyed soul stuff there, but it's quite rocky compared to his previous stuff. He does have a cracking voice.

Oddly, lots of the songs sound fairly strongly reminiscent of other artists without ever straying in to actually ripping anyone off.

For instance, here's the opening track:

It's not "Whole Lotta Love" - different rhythm, different tempo, very different approach (no "True Romance" clips in the Led Zep song), but... 

Likewise, there's a song that Mrs_bob refers to as "the Tom Petty one", one that reminds me of a Fleetwood Mac song... All in the same sort of way that the song from Jools Holland sounds like AC/DC.

I mean, it's been around for seventy years. It's hard to listen to rock music and not hear other rock music, I'm just thinking out loud.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22794
    I finally got round to watching that first clip, after it was posted on my birthday two months ago!

I quite like the song.  The vocal performance isn't what I expected - or imagined.  It's very mannered, until he impersonates Bon Scott for the last minute.  I'm not totally convinced, but it's interesting.

That new track @english_bob posted... you mentioned Krautrock earlier, I know very little about Krautrock but this reminds me quite a lot of the last couple of albums from Elder, and I know they have Krautrock influences.