Left/right handed acoustic differences?

What's Hot
daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
Is there anything in the construction that’s different?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72329
    daveyh said:
    Is there anything in the construction that’s different?
    Top bracing, bridge saddle slot angle, bridge saddle profile, nut.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    Okay that’s fairly significant then. It’s the top bracing specifically I was wondering about, couldn’t really do much about that
    Restringing one will work, but it's not ideal - the top bracing doesn't make enough difference to stop it working, although it may sound less than as good as normal. Reversing the bridge saddle slot is also difficult, but you can get 'conversion' saddles which fit into the existing slot and have a wide top-section which has a reversed saddle moulded into it... not very elegant, but again it will work, assuming there's enough height clearance to allow it to fit.

https://www.yamahamusiclondon.com/Saddleboy-Left-Handed-Acoustic-Guitar-Conversion-Kit/pidTGI-LEFT-CONV-KIT

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    Like @icbm says, those are the main differences. The bracing is the main one that you can't fix. Put it this way- it never stopped Paul MacCartney and those who had less access to left handed guitars and had to make do with acoustics flipped over.

But you aren't going to get the full benefit of the bracing design. I'd say buy a left handed guitar, especially for more expensive models. 

Redlester said:
    Like @icbm says, those are the main differences. The bracing is the main one that you can't fix. Put it this way- it never stopped Paul MacCartney and those who had less access to left handed guitars and had to make do with acoustics flipped over.

But you aren't going to get the full benefit of the bracing design. I'd say buy a left handed guitar, especially for more expensive models. 

Well, I’m right handed but I’ve seen something at an excellent price but it’s a leftie. But it’s something I’m not prepared to compromise on tbh
    edited June 2022
    daveyh said:
    Redlester said:

Well, I’m right handed but I’ve seen something at an excellent price but it’s a leftie. But it’s something I’m not prepared to compromise on tbh
    Hey hey hey! I might be interested as a lefty. What is it? 

Edit: got to say as well, that speaking as a left hooker, the thought of a right handed player buying anything other than a lefty Strat and slinging it upside down (for the look of course) seems crazy. Why impose limits on yourself when you don't have to? Trust me as a very frustrated left handed player. It's only in the last 10 years that the range and choice of lefty guitars has really improved. 
    It’s a leftie J45
  • GTCGTC Frets: 263
    I'm a lefty and have had many right-handed guitar conversions done. I always try the guitar with the strings turned round before making any changes to the nut, saddle and saddle slot angle to check that the bracing does not have an impact. After twenty or so conversions I've come to the conclusion that it makes no noticeable difference. This is backed up by the views of Simon at Brook and a Martin comment on asymmetrical bracing which says that it can make a difference - but it doesn't matter which way round it goes.

Saddle slot angles are something for an experienced luthier but not a difficult job. I have someone who will do the job for me at "mate's rates" - but this could be well over £100 for most. Steer clear of the Saddleboy - an interesting idea but cheap and nasty for a decent guitar. I know, I've tried it.

Simpler things that need to be considered are the saddle profile, nut slot adjustment / nut replacement and fingerboard side dots on the correct side - and perhaps the pick guard if there is one.
    daveyh said:

No, don’t. For me it’s not just a practical point - it’s not just a compromise and pointless when there’s no shortage of right-handed guitars... in my opinion it’s just plain wrong. There are few enough decent left-handed guitars for the left-handed players, without right-handed players taking them. I feel the same about right-handed players using left-handed Strats to pose as Hendrix too, I won’t do those either.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    daveyh said:

No, don’t. For me it’s not just a practical point - it’s not just a compromise and pointless when there’s no shortage of right-handed guitars... in my opinion it’s just plain wrong. There are few enough decent left-handed guitars for the left-handed players, without right-handed players taking them. I feel the same about right-handed players using left-handed Strats to pose as Hendrix too, I won’t do those either.
    If I was lucky enough to be right-handed (although it would mean losing my mutant left-handed superpowers) I would never even contemplate converting a left-handed guitar to right-handed. There's plenty of choice out there as it is.

I have had left-handed guitars up for sale which have had a winning bid / offer put in by people I suspected were right-handed. In such cases, I have always pointed out what is involved in a proper conversion and given them the opportunity to back out.

However, my empirical evidence has shown that bracing handing is generally not such a big thing as it is often made out to be.
    ICBM said:
    daveyh said:

The thing that mainly made me wonder if it was possible wasn’t just that it was a good price, but it was also the birth year of my son
    daveyh said:
    The thing that mainly made me wonder if it was possible wasn’t just that it was a good price, but it was also the birth year of my son
    Well - I once bought a right-handed classical guitar because the manufacturing date was the first Monday after my wedding date. With things like this, being sensible can take a back seat.

A very nice guitar it turned out to be, too.
    GTC said:

Well - I once bought a right-handed classical guitar because the manufacturing date was the first Monday after my wedding date. With things like this, being sensible can take a back seat.

Not surprising. Classical guitars are usually - although not quite always - built with symmetrical bracing, have a straight bridge saddle slot, and don't even have position dots on the side of the neck... so the only changes you need are the saddle profile (and intonation notch for the G string if it has one) and the nut.

ICBM said:
    Not surprising. Classical guitars are usually - although not quite always - built with symmetrical bracing, have a straight bridge saddle slot, and don't even have position dots on the side of the neck... so the only changes you need are the saddle profile (and intonation notch for the G string if it has one) and the nut.
    More commonly than not nowadays, classicals do have a slight intonation angle on the saddle - and fretboard side dots at the 7th and 9th frets. The one I mentioned had neither though - so the conversion was indeed simple.

I just collected my Aria 19C Lacote replica from luthier extraordinaire, Alan Miller, yesterday. That did have a slight intonation angle on the saddle slot which Alan sorted invisibly and expertly. He's in the process of building a harp guitar for me.

I did once buy a right-handed Brook Tamar from a guy near Bideford as I fell in love with the koa on the back and sides - but only after checking with the guys at Brook first. Despite the asymmetric bracing they said changing the strings would not make any noticeable difference to the tone. Due to the bridge pins following the saddle angle, they recommended completely replacing the bridge - which Simon subsequently carried out.

I think my overall advice would be that if you are thinking about a conversion then think of all the implications first (including future resale value) and before doing any significant work, try it out with the strings changed round first to check there is no unexpected tonal surprises.
    edited June 2022
    dave gh said:
    It’s a leftie J45
    There aren't that many of them around. Seriously, if I were shopping for one of those I'd try as many as I could find before parting with serious money.  A conversion job on one of those isn't worth the extra expense IMO. 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    ICBM said:
    GTC said:

My good friend has a lovely Yamaha classical that I've always liked.

He's thinking of selling and asked if I'd be interested, but he's right handed and I'm left handed.

I did wonder about the bracing. 

You might have just sold my friend's guitar. I'll tell him to send the commission your way! 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

CHRISB50 said:

He's thinking of selling and asked if I'd be interested, but he's right handed and I'm left handed.

You might have just sold my friend's guitar. I'll tell him to send the commission your way! 
    I'm by no means a Yamaha expert but some newer Yamaha classicals (including the silent guitars) have a slight intonation angle on the saddle slot.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    GTC said:
    CHRISB50 said:

I'm by no means a Yamaha expert but some newer Yamaha classicals (including the silent guitars) have a slight intonation angle on the saddle slot.
    Cheers.

If I buy it will go straight to Charlie Chandlers to be sorted out, so I would let them deal with it.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    GTC said:

GTC two posts previously said:

More commonly than not nowadays, classicals do have a slight intonation angle on the saddle - 
    crikey you're worse than me...............  ;)

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    bertie said:
    crikey you're worse than me...............  ;)
    yipes - am I really ?????!!!  :/ 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom