heresy I know but ...

What's Hot
DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 335
heresy I know but I am coming to the conclusion that my musical output will not necessarily be enhanced by buying the latest piece of 'must have' gear but by investing some time in learning to properly use all the wonderful toys I already have ... I'll get my coat :) ...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 23reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    Have a Wisdom point.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11875
    Are you sure you don't need a Klon running as a clean boost? 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    Flagged for spreading fake news
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 953
    @DavidRees you have a demon in you. You must proceed to the Classifieds section for treatment. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    If everyone thought like that the boutique pedal building industry would collapse.
    Don't you feel an overwhelming sense of shame?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Are you sure you don't need a Klon running as a clean boost? 
    Satan reaps the heads of people that use dirt pedals as clean boosts.
    Don't let your mind post toastee - like a lot of my friends did!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DavidRees said:
    heresy I know but I am coming to the conclusion that my musical output will not necessarily be enhanced by buying the latest piece of 'must have' gear but by investing some time in learning to properly use all the wonderful toys I already have ... I'll get my coat :) ...
    Wise words.
    Don't let your mind post toastee - like a lot of my friends did!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28172
    edited June 2022
    The trick is not seeing this epiphany as a sign that you should sell all your current rig to reinvest in a "player's setup" comprising fewer, more expensive pedals. And a hand-wired valve amp that actually sounds a bit rubbish compared to a Microcube.

Or, horror of horrors, one of those ungodly air-powered guitars that doesn't work with pedals at all. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 932
    Hmmm, trying to apply logic to the matter of pedal acquisition eh?
    Well good luck with that!
  • DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 335
    Sporky said:
    The trick is not sering this epiphany as a sign that you should sell all your current rig to reinvest in a "player's setup" comprising fewer, more expensive pedals. And a hand-wired valve amp that actually sounds a bit rubbish compared to a Microcube.

Or, horror of horrors, one of those ungodly air-powered guitars that doesn't work with pedals at all. 
    @Sporky you are truly the voice of my conscience but my big fat belly prohibits me from playing an 'air powered' guitar with any degree of comfort. Anyway they alway sound better to the listener than the player I reckon. I sold my fabulous hand wired valve amp a few years back as despite it being fabulous it was bloody loud and made me sound rubbish. I would like to sound a bit less rubbish but I guess that is a fairly common goal - I shall keep trying :) ...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26987
    Sporky said:
    The trick is not sering this epiphany as a sign that you should sell all your current rig to reinvest in a "player's setup" comprising fewer, more expensive pedals. And a hand-wired valve amp that actually sounds a bit rubbish compared to a Microcube.

lolwis required 

I have done this, then undone this. Then I did Helix for a little while, then realised I really enjoy trying and seeking out interesting pedals. I also like building stuff, which includes pedals & guitars

I now have a whole range of stuff and I plug into whatever takes my fancy at the time to get some inspiration. I also will never understand the massive boards from folks you see so often - multiple big strymons, meris, chase bliss etc etc. I just can't fathom that all that stuff is getting used, though not judging if it genuinely is. 

For me the trick is when I'm playing I only want to plug in what I need to do what I'm doing. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 335
    and my current thinking is maybe I'll buy another compression pedal, a simple one like the Cali 76, to not so much add some magic but perhaps to subtract [or moderate] some of the occasional clumsiness in my playing :) ...
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28172
    stickyfiddle said:

realised I really enjoy trying and seeking out interesting pedals. I also like building stuff, which includes pedals & guitars
    And that's a perfectly valid way to enjoy guitarering. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2236
    IMHO there's a balance between wanting to have everything and one guitar and amp. 

Balance is not buying everything, selling it and rinse and repeat.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26987
    edited June 2022
    Sporky said:
    stickyfiddle said:

realised I really enjoy trying and seeking out interesting pedals. I also like building stuff, which includes pedals & guitars
    Absolutely - I made peace with it a good while ago and the only thing I worry about it having a load of gear that doesn't inspire because that just feels wasteful. I do want to sell some things I'm not using. 

The real trick is not to confuse "playing music", "actively practising" and "dicking about with gear" - there can definitely be crossover but they're all wildly different disciplines!  
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires

• For me the trick is when I'm playing I only want to plug in what I need to do what I'm doing. 
    Maybe I should do this a bit more. I spend so much time and effort on a nice neat pedalboard that contains all the likely options but that frequently just leads to a compare-fest and, ultimately, general dissatisfaction. 

Perhaps I should just have one small board out with tuner, delay, and spaces for one drive and one other E.g. mod, and then just swap out individually depending on what I’m playing. 
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1113
    edited June 2022
    My pedalboard only fits four pedals on but I own 15, I just pick four at a time 
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2236
    Sporky said:
    stickyfiddle said:

Absolutely - I made peace with it a good while ago and the only thing I worry about it having a load of gear that doesn't inspire because that just feels wasteful. I do want to sell some things I'm not using. 

The real trick is not to confuse "playing music", "actively practising" and "dicking about with gear" - there can definitely be crossover but they're all wildly different disciplines!  
    I do both. If I'm learning songs I'll go straight into an amp or play an arch top unplugged. If I'm dicking around I'll use loose pedals and stack them. Current fave is a fuzz factory into a mammoth. If I'm rehearsing I'll use a board.

I've currently three projects on the go two acpistic and one band. I tend to go mad with the effects with the band.I only really need a drive and a reverb and that's probably what I'll gig with.
  • Weaver85Weaver85 Frets: 91
    edited June 2022
    Waiting for the inevitable relapse 
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 942
    edited June 2022
    I spent years hoarding pedals when I should have been more attentive to my amp selection. Which is why I'm now playing out of a speaker powered by a potato. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom