Police investigate joke

What's Hot

Comments

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5002
    it's not like the good old days when the police would investigate all crimes*.

*except those committed by serving police officers, Jimmy Saville, abusive husbands or where the victims were black teenagers at a party in New Cross
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1026
    Dominic said:
    To be fair ......it's far more important than investigating a Burglary /Car theft / etc 

Or a "House Party" sorry I meant Office Do... 
    “Ken sent me.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    bertie said:
    serious (cos Im too lazy to check) question

so how did it even get into the media ?   (and why !!)

I believe Mr Lycett was smart enough to mention it to the press after plod had closed the matter.

I would have done as well. Get more tickets sold and really annoy the complainer.
    of course that had never crossed my mind.............................................  :) 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27611
    axisus said:
    The police should face a charge of time wasting and wasting public money. 
    If you make that complaint, presumably they'd be "duty bound to investigate" it?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1943
    TTony said:
    axisus said:
    The police should face a charge of time wasting and wasting public money. 
    If you make that complaint, presumably they'd be "duty bound to investigate" it?
    They do but then you are left with a criminal record of Crime:no crime. Watch the video I posted and you'll see it explained in there Tony. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• I saw his show, it was great.

"Donkey dick"... hmm, I wonder if it was about the bit where he has a home movie of him as a naked child, he had a video editor put a massive willy instead of his little toddler willy.
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1860
    Offset said:
    I wouldn't be at all surprised if the complaint was made by Lycett's agent.
    Yep.It would seem that having to explain the context of a joke makes it not very good. Maybe he should seek an alternative career?
    Offset said:
    I wouldn't be at all surprised if the complaint was made by Lycett's agent.
      Maybe he should seek an alternative career?
    as a comedian perhaps
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7285
    I love this part of the article:

"The stand-up wrote in an Instagram post that a complaint was filed about a segment from one of his shows that referenced a donkey, but did not identify where it was made."

Probably China, like most things these days.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11306
    I must have missed the bit where it turns out that everything in the country is absolutely fine and the police have so little to do that they can spend the time and resources on something as trivial as this.

Donkey dick? The whole matter should be referred to the Howard League for Penile Reform. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 966
    Snap said:
    FastEddie said:

We should be laughing at stupid ideologies, mocking them, making skits to show their ideocracy.
    I don't think this is the way to go at all. 

I put all religions in the same bucket of stuff I don't believe in, but I wouldn't mock someone for their own belief. That's disrespectful and arrogant.

However, where I think we tend to go wrong is that we allow perceived, or vocalised insults of beliefs to intrude on other people's liberties.

In the case of this film - IMO, the measured practise would be to acknowledge the fact that certain people feel insulted, but also uphold the right of everyone else (who are not insulted) to be able to watch it, if they so choose. 

If something offends you, or your beliefs, then don't get involved in it, but don't expect everyone else to cater for your viewpoint.

I don't eat anything that has had a mother, but I don't go round expecting everyone else to hold the same view or alter their lifestyle because of my views. That would be the standpoint of an arrogant twat. Same here with the film.

The cinema should have got some backbone and held firm. Ridiculous IMO. 

Given the reaction from those opposed to the film, the cinema folded to protect their staff from being the next Charlie Hebdo 
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1860
    BlueStrat said:
    Snap said:
    FastEddie said:

We should be laughing at stupid ideologies, mocking them, making skits to show their ideocracy.

I put all religions in the same bucket of stuff I don't believe in, but I wouldn't mock someone for their own belief. That's disrespectful and arrogant.

However, where I think we tend to go wrong is that we allow perceived, or vocalised insults of beliefs to intrude on other people's liberties.

In the case of this film - IMO, the measured practise would be to acknowledge the fact that certain people feel insulted, but also uphold the right of everyone else (who are not insulted) to be able to watch it, if they so choose. 

If something offends you, or your beliefs, then don't get involved in it, but don't expect everyone else to cater for your viewpoint.

I don't eat anything that has had a mother, but I don't go round expecting everyone else to hold the same view or alter their lifestyle because of my views. That would be the standpoint of an arrogant twat. Same here with the film.

Given the reaction from those opposed to the film, the cinema folded to protect their staff from being the next Charlie Hebdo 
    More likely the Animal Defence League(Croydon Branch.) Splitters!
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    I was a company general manager for a long time. One time, a member of staff came to see me asking if we had anyone called Don working for us. I told him no, and he went off, muttering. Half an hour later, he came back and asked me if I was absolutely sure, because some bloke was on the phone who kept asking for Don Kiddick.

The particular member of staff was well known for being well endowed in the trouser department, and one of the other lads was calling from his mobile from the room next door.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5649
    Snap said:
    FastEddie said:

By dictionary definition (even if my personal definition disagrees) I am religious.

Do I think that we shouldn't mock religion?  No!  Religion is hilarious!  I love Father Ted and Vicar of Dibley.  Dave Allen used to have a right go at religion (I thought his closing comment was very respectful, though) and it was some of the funniest stuff ever.

And, if you are truly secure in your convictions to whatever religion or belief you subscribe, then no amount of mockery will offend you anyway. 

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 966
    Father Ted is comedy gold but I can’t see Imam Ted being accepted in the same way. 
    Though that would be an ecumenical matter. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11814
    BlueStrat said:
    Father Ted is comedy gold but I can’t see Imam Ted being accepted in the same way. 
    I just spat out a mouthful of cold beer when I read that!
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18824
    Offset said:
    BlueStrat said:
    Drink!!!
    Offset said:
    BlueStrat said:
    Drink!!!
    feck

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    I'd be more inclined to investigate Joe Lycett under the trades description act.
    He's not my idea of a comedian.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom