A little bit scary for paraents. it was devastating back in the 60s/70s

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    no it's not. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Snap said:
    no it's not. 
    It should be if you're one of the many parents who have chosen not to vaccinate their children because of [insert irrational anti-vax conspiracy theory here - including the many pre-c*v*d ones].

People were still being f-ed up by it in my lifetime and I'm not that old (opinions on this may vary), and I'd rather not see it happenning again when it's completely avoidable.
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15544
    it's not my favourite biblical plague, so I'll pass and hold out for something more epic.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    Snap said:
    no it's not. 
    It should be if you're one of the many parents who have chosen not to vaccinate their children 
    well if they've "chosen not to"  then they wont be worried, will they 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 966
    Measles is back in fashion too. 
    These anti vaxxers are using the healthy lives that science gave them to campaign against that very science
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22973
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-61904662

I liked the headline on the Daily Star's front page.

"Sexist flying scumbag targets terrified bloke."  :D

Daily Star front page

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2560
    Lots of parents didn't get their kids vaccinated in the early 2000s because of the false information about links to Autism (thanks to GMTV and Daily Mail) which has been proven wrong time and time again. Those kids will be in their early 20s now. Although they focused on MMR I'm sure there are others who went total anti-vax and there are young people walking around now who are not vaccinated against polio.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    On a serious note, my mum had polio as a child.  She was fine as an adult, but at some stage had to wear a leg brace like those slightly scary charity collection boxes we used to see in the streets of the UK.

CHARITY COLLECTION DONATION Box Bucket For Collecting Money Voting Events  395 - PicClick UK
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I read a case a few years back of a bloke in the US who died of tetanus, cut his hand up in the garden, went to his docs to get it patched up but refused the vaccine on health grounds (he had an immune system!!!), contracted tetanus and popped his clogs. It resonated with me cos about the same time I cut my hand up pretty badly in the garden, went to the docs to get it all sutured back up but I didn't get tetanus. Cos when they asked if I was vaccinated I said yes, but it was about 30 years ago, so they gave me a booster. No tetanus and absolutely no side effects from the jab either. Tetanus does not look a fun way to die. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    Philly_Q said:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-61904662

I liked the headline on the Daily Star's front page.

"Sexist flying scumbag targets terrified bloke."  :D

he's obviously more gullable 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    VimFuego said:
    I read a case a few years back of a bloke in the US who died of tetanus, cut his hand up in the garden, went to his docs to get it patched up but refused the vaccine on health grounds (he had an immune system!!!), contracted tetanus and popped his clogs. It resonated with me cos about the same time I cut my hand up pretty badly in the garden, went to the docs to get it all sutured back up but I didn't get tetanus. Cos when they asked if I was vaccinated I said yes, but it was about 30 years ago, so they gave me a booster. No tetanus and absolutely no side effects from the jab either. Tetanus does not look a fun way to die. 
    I've often heard the phrase "when was your last tetanus shot?", probably on things like Casualty.

It makes it sound as if everyone regularly has tetanus vaccinations, but as far as I know I've never had one, unless it's one of those you have as a very small child.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18832
    Philly_Q said:
    VimFuego said:
    I've often heard the phrase "when was your last tetanus shot?", probably on things like Casualty.

It makes it sound as if everyone regularly has tetanus vaccinations, but as far as I know I've never had one, unless it's one of those you have as a very small child.
    Not certain how long it has been in place, but tetanus is part of the childhood vaccination programme.
    https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/6-in-1-infant-vaccine/
    Lost count of the boosters I have had following various accidents  B)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:
    VimFuego said:

I know I had one at 16, can't recall if that was a booster or 1st shot but I'm guessing booster. Not sure if it's something you're supposed to get topped up regular or not, working outdoors it was always something I was aware of. Probably would've been wiser to get a booster before the accident, but hindsight and all that. 

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11879
    Philly_Q said:
    VimFuego said:

I got hit by a car when I was 15, they did ask me that question, “have you had a tetanus shot?” Even though I’m sure the bumper on the car was plastic.  I probably could do with a booster now though.
    edited June 2022
    Tetanus vaccination

The tetanus vaccine is given as part of the NHS childhood vaccination programme.

The full course of vaccination includes 5 injections, usually given on the following schedule:

- the first 3 doses are given as part of the 6-in-1 vaccine at age 8, 12 and 16 weeks
    - a booster dose is given as part of the 4-in-1 pre-school booster at age 3 years and 4 months
    - a final dose is given as part of the 3-in-1 teenage booster at age 14

(That's from the NHS site @Kittyfrisk linked to.)

I don't remember the pre-school stuff, but I'm pretty certain I never had a "teenage booster".  

It also says you might have a booster before travelling abroad.  Last time I went outside the UK was 21 years ago, I'm not sure if I had any jabs or not then, maybe I did.

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10253
    edited June 2022
    My father and my uncle had polio. Both were from a small German village and it was decimated by polio in the early 50's.

My father spent three years in bed after contracting it very young and had to learn how to walk again. My uncle is a paraplegic because of it and has no feeling in his legs and never walked again after contracting it. 

When the vaccination program for polio started in these areas in Germany they were clamouring to get it for their kids because it was so devastating. 

The success of vaccination programs has made people complacent and ignorant. This disease is no joke. 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 13reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    cruxiform said:
    Lots of parents didn't get their kids vaccinated in the early 2000s because of the false information about links to Autism (thanks to GMTV and Daily Mail) which has been proven wrong time and time again. Those kids will be in their early 20s now. Although they focused on MMR I'm sure there are others who went total anti-vax and there are young people walking around now who are not vaccinated against polio.
    They fucked up the published diagnostic criteria for autism around then. As well as broadening its scope there was a typo where they had put an OR instead of AND, so it was being over diagnosed (as well as being genuinely more prevalent than was once thought). Also some autistic children suddenly become non-verbal at around the same age as their first vaccines, an unfortunate coincidence  
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12916
    Even if vaccines caused autism in 1% of kids---WHICH THEY DONT---it would still be worth it. Find an autistic person and see if they'd trade it for polio... 

There's a good Penn & Teller bit on this. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    edited June 2022
    Even if vaccines caused autism in 1% of kids---WHICH THEY DONT---it would still be worth it. Find an autistic person and see if they'd trade it for polio... 

There's a good Penn & Teller bit on this. 

Yep that assumption in itself is insulting

The video would have been better with real children